Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Well the inevitable happened and my son bent his first set of bars today. Started to look at replacements and even with a bunch of bike shops here my options are limited. Basically everyone stocks Renthals for approx $120 CDN option # two is an aluminum bar made by MX Pro? for $47 CDN and then a cheapy carbon steel bar for less than $20. I guess the basic question is are 1 set of Renthals going to last me longer than the equivalant 6 sets of cheapy bars? Any opinions appreciated.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
What you really should do it check out eBay for some deals. Lots of stuff at good prices. Just make sure to read the shipping info as some guys will try to sell it cheap, then charge alot of shipping.

As for the quality of the bars, I would stay awy from the steel bars and depending on how much he crashes, buy a set that will take a few hits. The Renthals have done quite well no my buddies bike and since he just started in the sport, he crashes alot.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
80's dont bend bars as easily as the big bikes because they are much lighter, and there is less force transmitted through the bars in a crash.

I would think carbon steel bars would suit you fine.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
While Ebay is a good tip and I have been watching looking for that screamer deal for awhile knowing this day would come I need a set of bars today :) I was kind of planning on going with some cheapy steel bars until he found a bend he liked but have found that only 1 shop here even stocks anything other than Renthal 7/8 and they don't even know who makes their cheapy bars never mind what bend they are. :think:

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Go with the renthals, I like the feel of them best. One of my friends have cheapy steel bars, not only does the handling feels crappy, but just the position is bad.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Do they make pro-tapers for 80's if they do you should buy those, last set of bars you'll buy in a long time, they hold up to almost all crashes and mine have had their fair share of crashes and they are still straight as an arrow.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I like the pro tapers. Very strong. My bike fell over on the trailer hard enough to bust a radiator mount. The damn bars (much cheaper to replace) are fine. Maybe this is just my poor luck?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Dell we went thru a couple sets of bars on thekids 80's. He bent the stockers right away and then a set of renthals later in the season-. Eventually we ended up with demarini double wall bars on his 80, 85, and now 125. He has yet to bend those even in his last crash that bent everything else on the bike. The crash force was on the bars which stayed straight but the mount brackets gave way.

IMO I would spend the extra and get a set that will last- nothing worse than at a race running around trying to find and change bars betwen motos

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Thx for all the replies guys, basically had no choice but Renthals this time due to availability but am going to start watching for some good deals and maybe pick up another set when I get a chance so we have a backup set just in case.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom