sprocket74

Jan 14, 2005
I have been going through my bike the last few days to get it ready for riding this year. I removed the front triple clamps so I could repack the front steering stem bearings. The top bearing is easy to properly repack but I was wondering if anyone had tips on repacking the lower bearing without pressing the bearing off the stem.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Yep, fill your palm with grease. Rub the edge of the grease pile against the bearing using the heel of your palm. Take little 'bites' of the grease and force it into the top of the bearing race. When it squeezes out the bottom of the race, that area of the bearing is packed. Move on, going around the bearing until it is completely filled up.

sprocket74

Jan 14, 2005
reelrazor said:
Yep, fill your palm with grease. Rub the edge of the grease pile against the bearing using the heel of your palm. Take little 'bites' of the grease and force it into the top of the bearing race. When it squeezes out the bottom of the race, that area of the bearing is packed. Move on, going around the bearing until it is completely filled up.
Yes, that is how you grease a bearing. My question is for packing the lower stem bearing with grease without removing it from the stem.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Explain the difference between the two...greasing versus packing. You might get the answer you're looking for. :cool:

Last edited:

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
he wants to PACK the bearing full of grease...which is easiest done with the bearing off.

to answer the question, I just keep dabbing grease on and rolling the needles. the grease will get in there.

Tom Cox

May 16, 2003
It depends on the bike, but I've done this for years with many different brands of motorcycles. You've apparently taken the triple clamps off the bike. Is there a top and bottom seal to keep water and dirt out of the bearings? Look in the frame headstock tube to see if there are any open holes to the connecting frame tubes. If there's none this will work, other wise you'll fill your frame will grease. If you have no holes and grease seals top and bottom, drill a correct sized hole in a spot on the side of the headstock tube in a place that will not interfere with anything and tap it to install a grease zerk. Oh yea, make sure you can get to it with a grease gun. Install the zerk, clean out any metal filings and put it together. Now pump it full of grease. Give it a pump every time you wash the bike or at intervals of your choosing. Sometimes a little grease may come out the bottom seal. If you pump it to full you'll get grease out every time you ride until it stabilizes. You know you have your bearings encased with grease. I normally try to place the zerk near the top. As you pump in the grease, gravity will make it naturally flow down to the lower bearing and you don't get grease to the upper bearing until the tube is full. If you have it full of grease it should keep the water out. This is a low speed operation so the bearings should not over heat and fail due to to much grease.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
TCOX said:
This is a low speed operation so the bearings should not over heat and fail due to to much grease.

With that said, is it necessary to go to such lengths?

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
sprocket74 said:
Yes, that is how you grease a bearing. My question is for packing the lower stem bearing with grease without removing it from the stem.

Yeah, well same operation you just have the stem in the way. I WAS talking about packing the bearing while on the stem(and other tapered roller bearings). If you want me to be more specific...I will usually work the rear edge of the bearing(while ON the stem). This gives your hand more room to pass by the bearing. Turn the bearing toward the rear of the stem to access the rest of it.

It ain't rocket science.

It also isn't all that hard to get the bearing off of there either.

Top Bottom