Anssi

May 20, 2001
Now that there's another thread on turns, here's my problem:

When turns develop whoops, they get very hard for me.

You can't sit, because ther rear will be throw towards the center of the turn, initiating swapping from hell (I was told by the spectators that it was quite a show when I did this in 4th on my YZ450F and proceeded to swap, WFO, about 30 meters down the straightaway before getting it under control).

The only remaining option is standing in the attack position. This always makes me feel like I'm going horribly slow since I can't get the bike to turn in properly, it feels like it wants to stand up and push wide. Any special tips or is it just more practise? I'll put some video up.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Anssi.

Look for a line on either side of the whoops. Usually in a whoop'd out corner there will be a high line and a low line. This line will be just outside of the whoop area and should be a little smoother. Depending on the corner, the high line is usually the fastest. Look for the area where the dirt makes a burm and you may find a smoother line through there.

Watch the Expert class and see where those guys run. They have a way of picking out the best lines. :confused:

Also, standing in the attack position will help. Get as far forward as you can and just let the back end wag. If the front end pushes, get farther forward.

Just my $ .02

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
I can give you a general answer based on your question, not having seen you ride, not knowing if you are having a specific problem. Take into account I am not an expert. This is what I have learned in my limited experience and from watching a Gary Semics tape. Which by the way he has a tape #7 in a series called "All about cornering".
The basics of riding a berm: move up to the tank to get your weight on the front, your leg out towards the front (helping weight the front tire). Your foot should be weighting the outside peg and your knee pressed into the tank help control the direction of the bike.
Riding hard flat turns is similar, you want to weight the front tire and the outer peg but you want to move your body to the edge of your seat. So that now that the bike is leaned over you will be sitting on what is now the top of your seat. Learning that made a huge difference for me riding flat hard pack turns. Riding the edge of the seat makes a big difference in traction.
Hope this helps and if you decide to try out a Gary Semics tape in my opinion it's well worth it.

jack909

Oct 7, 2003
there are 2 good efictive ways too hit a corner/burm acording to to Dirt Rider magazine ive always used them since i was a kid but i never really knew what they were called #1. way is called a centerd gravity turn prety much what gxdragon was talking about you haft do do all that but in this order it is most efictivly aprochedwhen you are going into a corner break with your front break "not back" (using the back will through you into a power slide which il get to next)then as you body weight is flying forward dont fight it lean forward then wait untill your going slow enough to enter the turn then begin to tilt your bike away from burm/corner and towards ground and put presure on outer peg but make sure that you keep your body facing streight up you should alway have a good center of gravity ex. you stay like this | and your bike like this _ so its like |_ ****y picture im sry enyways this is best used when you arent trying to pas some1 now now breking method #2.is called a power slide prety simple just go realy fast until you get close to a burn/turn then thern realy fast and slam the back breaks like you would on a bike this method is best used to pass some one in a race and if you want you can get physicly and clip people with it then it is called the bump and pit minuver...as you get beter you can aply the clutch to these breaking moves you will notice that all pros use only these same 2 wath as they tap the front break or slam the rear break have fun and practice

Telemaqq

Sep 5, 2003
im trying to make a track at my house, and i just got a 125 and all i have is a nice arced 4 foot jump, i can get like 7-8 feet in heith off it. but i jsut brought dirt in for a burm, and i dont know how i would pack it. would just stopping on it work? or just riding over it with the bike or somethin, neone who knows how to do this stuff plz help me out :) thanx

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I've seen some people line the outside of their turns with haybales. This serves two purposes: 1. When you blow through a turn you throw dirt to the outside and basically scatter it around...with haybales, it keeps the dirt within the turn and allows the berm to form more quickly 2. It's an effective way to "shape" the turn.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Pack down the berm with a 4 wheeler, its what I found was best, and if you really want it hard packed you could try a truck with a lift kit

maxkiks77

Sep 23, 2002
Originally posted by Telemaqq
. would just stopping on it work? or just riding over it with the bike or somethin, neone who knows how to do this stuff plz help me out :) thanx

i think stopping on it would be great because you get drink some beer and just wait there, but stomping on it will get the job done right and also haybales will too, but you can stop on it if you want to.

Telemaqq

Sep 5, 2003
no i deffinatly meant stopping ;) and if i do that its true i could get to drink beer and call some buddies to come stop on it with me right

Top Bottom