mhenry14clady

Oct 17, 2009
Hey, was wondering if any of you guys could give me some tips or pointers on how to turn left. I know it probably sounds stupid but i can turn perfect going right and keep speed round corners turning right but when it comes to turning left i can't do them half as good as the right handed corners. Any help guys? :D

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
That weird because usually it's harder to turn to the right because you have to take your foot off the brake pedal.

Practice the technique that you use for turning right if that works for you. There are lots of threads on how to turn but after you learn the technique it all boils down to practicing it. Try doing tight figure 8's for a while. They force you to do both left and right hand turns and it's a good drill to perfect them.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Is your bike bent? I have never heard of being any different right or left. Like we ride nascar style? The bike is off? People get all crazy for practice tracks, I don't get it. All you need is an area to set up a figure 8 track. Get 1 direction down, then go the other way. Its all the practice you will need! Corners, thats where its at! Vintage Bob

mhenry14clady

Oct 17, 2009
yeah ive tried the figure 8 technique briefly but i didnt feel comfortable getn the bike lower on the left side, could that be because my left leg isn't strong enough? or is it just a case of practice it more?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have no idea what would "make" someone more comfortable turning 1 way or the other. For me, its the same. Could be selective memory loss, but I never recall it being an issue. Then again, I spent a lot of time riding figure eights. Rule out the bike being out of alignment, and the suspension working correctly? Then get more practice. Vintage Bob

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
are you inadvertently hitting the brake causing you to loose speed& low side and that is why you don't feel comfortable leaning the bike as much? do you have the arches of your feet on the pegs and not realizing your dragging the rear brake?

mhenry14clady

Oct 17, 2009
i have mi foot up off the peg towards the front wheel to weight it whilst turning in.
Na i do mi breaking before the turn usually then use the throttle at the corner and get my speed up going out. I think it was just a case of more practice cos im getting better at turning left now than i was 2 weeks ago.
Was at a practice track the other day though and theres a tight left hander then at the exit of the corner an uphill bit and i usually lose alot of speed at the corner then havta double clutch like mad to get up (it's like soft sand btw) any tips what to do there?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
mhenry14clady said:
yeah ive tried the figure 8 technique briefly but i didnt feel comfortable getn the bike lower on the left side, could that be because my left leg isn't strong enough? or is it just a case of practice it more?
or is it just a case of practice it more?Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!!!:)

As far as loosing speed in the corner, you have 2 options (IMO anyway!), 1) slip the clutch like you've been doing or 2) drop it down a gear to keep it on the pipe. Personally I like to ride a gear high and slip the clutch. It gives me more control exiting the turn and I don't have to worry about shifting before an obstacle (like a jump).

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Slow before the corner, to the fastest speed you can take the corner. You should be on the throttle, to some extent, going in and wfo going out as soon as you can. Try NOT putting your foot down. When you can go into that corner in 3rd gear, your on it! Squaring the corner up is good for passing, not the fastest way usually. Think about doing a push up when you enter the corner, push on the bars, plant the bike where you want to corner, and push on the outside peg. Its the slowest part of the track. Try different angles/lines, make your own. Surprise yourself, but do not get hurt! Its also a good place to learn to crash. Vintage Bob

Top Bottom