tired of paying for over priced oils

jackie g

Jun 17, 2001
i have a 2001 yz250f and love it. but i have been running the yamalube 4r in it for about 4 changes. at my local dealer this stuff is $8 dollars a quart. I am tired of paying for the oil. I have read about the mobile one oil. this can be purchased at my local WALLY WORLD for $4. is this oil as good as any other motocycle oil. and can i use it in my yz. i do not want anything to harm my bike motor. any info will be welcomed

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Now this opens "one each" can of.........oil?

Jackie,
My $.02 worth out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean......

there are pages on this subject........think the biggest thing on these machines from the experts on this forum (Rich et all, (exlude me) )
Pick a good oil, stick with it, and change it religiously.....and keep the filter clean/changed as well.
I am running nothing but Castrol 10-40 here and change it every after every ride (ends up being 50-70 miles trail and track). I am sure that some one will think/tell me that I am going to ruin the motor doing it (running Castrol), but I dont think I will.......if so.....this forum will be the first to know........
:scream:
with the common oil for the cam/clutch/motor/some cooling....its cheap insurance to change it all the time.
Good luck......

HR
:cool:

yami426ff

Jun 4, 2001
I am switching from the yamalube 4r to mobile one. If I notice a difference, I'll let you know.. I got tired of paying 8 bucks a qt also...
;)

robbie suggs

Jul 24, 2000
one of the magazines last month said DO NOT use synthetic oil in a motor cycle.they said it was good for the top end but very bad for the lower end bearings and crank bearings .
I ride a 00 wr400 and I've been runing castrol 10/40 since I got it , that's what the dealer told me to run in it.

jackie g

Jun 17, 2001
mobile one

rich whats your opinion on me using mobile one in my 250f. any thoughts on synthetics being hard on bottom ends of the motor.

yami426ff

Jun 4, 2001
I am finding that if you mix Homelite bar and chain oil with a little bit of peanut oil.........:eek:.....I will give the Mobile 1 a try..

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I use Mobil 1 15w50 in both my bikes and never had a problem. I heard that some synthetic's have friction modifiers like mobil 1 10w30, stay away from these.

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Yami426 have you tried. . . . .

using peanut oil AFTER you deep fry that turkey?
Heard that it is real good too, plus you get those wonderful smells in the parking lot idling.........
Could try Palm Oil...we have a lot of that here.........
hmmmmmm
could be a market here........

HR
:cool:

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Thoughts on Castrol...

Originally posted by Hawaii-Rider
I am running nothing but Castrol 10-40 here and change it every after every ride

I too run Castol GTx ( except it is REAL hot here, so I run 20/50 ). After doing all the research I could find on oils, I came to the conclusion that mot. oils cannot add some magic ingredient that makes them "better" than auto oils. The only thing to watch out for is the grade , and if friction modifiers are added. I change it every other ride, tho, like you said, cheap insurance.
Unless someone can prove to me that Yamalube or Bel ray is somehow better, I will continue to use castrol. Drive hard;)

Top Bottom