To get or not to get that is the question????

m1a

Oct 20, 2002
Haveing a hard time trying to decide whether or not to get a Suzuki Z-400 I've been on a enduro bike for the last 6 years and like the fact that I can fit into tiny places like around gates and such with speed and ease, I think I would like it I would just hate to drop 5k on a new toy only to find out 6 months later that it just doesn't give me the fix I want anymore, I know they are apples and oranges as far as a comparison, guess I just want to know if I will still like the orange 6 months down the road or wished I had got a new KTM instead, how much fun are they to race??? I would probably race it 3 times a year on a small mx track I'm 32 and also wondering if its gonna be easy on the lower back my bike doesn't affect me in any ill way is the 4 wheels gonna give me more road feedback that I don't care for?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
wrong spot bud. This is for telling about your weekend ride or race, not for what bike do I get questions. There is a spot just for those. I'm not trying to be hard on you just letting you know.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
m1a

I just sold a Z400 and went back to dirtbikes.  I loved that quad but I am a diehard dirtbiker.  The only reason I bought the quad was my kids were just starting out and the quad had electric start and a parking brake.  With my old YZ250 I found myself worn out after having to find trees or a place to prop the bike up while I helped the kids negotiate obtstacles or restart their bikes.  The quad fit my purpose brilliantly.

However, you mention racing and I can tell you that the quad is no where near as fun on a motocross track as a dirtbike.  If you want a casual ride in the woods or the occasional harescramble the quad is the ticket.  For motocross, no way no how does it compare to a motocross bike.

m1a

Oct 20, 2002
Thanks for that info, I have a little one that has a 50 and it would have a place there but I also have a plain 4-wheeler for that. Just wondering if the z-400 was fun, fast, and handled well, even when we go out for the casual ride with my friends it always turns competitive. We ride some semi hilly, somewhat sandy, old and new fire lanes. Some are clean as a whistle and you can go fast some are becoming overgrown and need a little technique to get around the washouts. Would the z- be fun by myself "not competing with a bike cause we all know bikes are faster, just looking for the fun factor.We also have lots of water bars to jump, Can you go very far on a tank of gas, when we go off on our bikes someone usually runs out.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
The Z was fun to ride and handled very well.  It is the only quad I have ever owned so I'm the wrong guy to comment on whether it is fast compared to other quads.  I thought it was slow, but I had been riding 250 2 strokes before getting the Z, so of course it felt slow.  I put a Pro Circuit pipe on it and that livened it up some, but it still felt slow to me.  I also did not like the jumping,  it is harder to jump the quad due to the weight than my bikes were.  I'm just not a quad kind of guy,  it served it's purpose for me but as soon as my son's abilities progressed I got rid of the quad as fast as I could.  It's just not the same fun factor for me as a dirtbike.

As quads go it was nice, but don't expect it to have anywhere near the speed, jumping ability or handle like your bike.  If all of your buds have them you would probably like it.  If you go out with friends on bikes you will hate it.  Since it is a four stroke and has a bigger tank than my 250 w strokes it would go twice as far on gas. 

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom