To powder or not to powder

mikegoza

Jun 24, 2005
I am almost done with a complete restoration of a 1985 ATC 250r. The cylinder was lookin pretty bad to I stripped off the stock coatings. I know powder coat is somewhat of an insulator....is it o.k. to powder coat a water cooled head? If not what is the best way to coat? It can be anodized but the sleeve would have to be removed first and I don't know much about that. Thanks

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
dont know about the powder coating, i'm sure it could be done since that stuff holds up really well and has a heat factor of like 500 degrees F I believe but the main thing is the powder tends to get everywhere, even if you try to seal up everything I always hear stories of it getting into the cyclinder and stuff. I have had and also seen great result using regualer engine enamel thats meant for cars/trucks, as long as everything is prepped good it normally comes out very nice. Just a thought and would prob be cheaper. What color were you thinking about doing?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…