iroc8210

Jun 26, 2006
I tried searching and came up empty handed (found trail conditions, but not descriptions of loops) so I was wondering, Can someone give me a break down of the Tomahawk trail system? Or if there is another site that has the info I'd be glad to check it out myself. I know there are multiple loops with a variety of terrain. I'm getting a Michigan Womens ride together on TT (and people here will be welcome as well) and thats where we are thinking about riding (suggested by someone else). I've only rode The Meadows/Luzerne and Ambrose Lake areas. I'm just trying to find out what all is available up there for different skill levels if people end up breaking apart based on skill after the morning ride or something.

Thanks in Advance! :ride:

~Cori

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Its fairly advanced trail. It is technicaly quad width trail but it is rather tight for quads. I havent seen a quad out there yet. There are lots of elevation changes, rocks, and roots in the trail.

The A loop sucks. Sand and woops.

B and C loops are the best.

You can ride 1/2 of the B loop without plates but will need platted bikes to get to the western section

The C loop can be ride withought a platted bike.

Webber lake campground is a great place to camp.

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
we have ridden the b loop without a plate, one road section is only about 200 feet, and we double back to get back, it a little longer that way if i remember right. ive just pushed my bike down the road, its flat and smooth.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
TJC510 said:
we have ridden the b loop without a plate, one road section is only about 200 feet, and we double back to get back, it a little longer that way if i remember right. ive just pushed my bike down the road, its flat and smooth.

Not leagle without a plate.

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
if hes pushing the bike it is :) but from what i remember it was a bit more than 200 feet thought. a great trail though i liked both b and c loops it does have a varied level of skill needed on the trails.

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
If I remember correctly there are actualy two areas of plated concern. One is about 200 ft and the other is more like a 1/4 mile.I have only ridden that section once so I could be mistaken. But thats not known to happen very often. :coocoo:

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
I've ridden there many times, but not for a couple of years now. My bike is plated, but non-plated guys never had problems. Just lucky I guess. But on the map it looks like there's 2 ways to get to the west side of the B loop and the one to the north does not need a plate?

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Well if the west side of the B loop is anything like the Big O trail in Baldwin even though you can ride a lot of that trail around whisky creek without hitting a road you still need to have a platted bike because the entire trail was designated street legal bikes only because of the road sections. Any non platted bikes caught on the Big O (minus the section it shares with the Little O) are subject to a ticket or worse.

Make sure you know where you are ridding as it could lead to trouble.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
YZMAN400 said:
Well if the west side of the B loop is anything like the Big O trail in Baldwin

It's not. USFS has their own rules and can designate a trail as cycle-only and/or requiring a plate. State (which Tomahawk system is on) only has ORV Trails for motorized, non-road classification, so if a car can't fit down it, and it's open to motorized traffic, then all ORVs are allowed. All ORVs that are less than 50" wide, that is.

Do need a plate for the two sections. The DNR map doesn't show the north road section well (at all?).. The north section is 528 feet (easy enough to legally push that far).Here's a MapSource snippet:
bloopnorthroadconn.gif

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
The DNR map just says "Sections of Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail shown in black REQUIRE a Secretary of State license plate.", but most of the B loop is shown in red. Yeah the whole BigO Map is shown in black dashed = plate required. Haha that should keep quads off!

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
its been a while since ive ridden that trail, so i was a little off on the distance. now my bike is enduro legal, but a few who ride with us are not. we will still take that little section of road over the longer one and just push it down the road twice.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom