Roadking

Dec 4, 2004
Has anyone looked at the Tomos MC50 dirtbikes? I have a local dealer who carries them. They look very good with lots of ground clearance and suspension. They have several different sizes and seat heights. I rode one around the parking lot and it seemed to have good power (pulled my 200 pounds anyway). They have a two speed automatic, which shifted good with me on it. This is a 2cycle bike so you have to mix the gas.

I use to work on Tomos mopeds back in the 70's so I know they have been around a long time. The motor looks a lot like the one in there new mopeds with there name is imbossed on the engine. They used to be made in Europe but I think they have a factory in South Carolina now. There brochure list the name as TomosUSA.

Anyway, I have two boys 6 and 7 who want dirt bikes. After reading most of the posts I think the PW50 and JR50 would be outgrown by the boys way to quickly. The Honda 50 sounds like a good choice but is quite a bit more expensive and I have to buy two of these. I'm also thinking my oldest will outgrow it too quickly.

If you've never seen these bikes you can go to tomosusa and see what you think. I'm hoping someone out there has an honest opinion on them.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I don't know squat about tomos...I will say this though. a lot of bikes are out there and many have come and gone in the 50 2 stroke class. Cobra and KTM are the only 2 left with any force. Polini USA and LEM USA are rumored to have financial issues. Beta is barely selling. NOt sure what your final objective is but if you will ever see a race track you should consider either a KTM or Cobra. Parts are plentiful for both. Most of the cheaper 50's break a lot. All of the 50cc 2 strokes are more maintenance intensive but there are noteable differences in the bikes and which ones stay together.
Obviously I'd reccomend a Cobra the most since I am a dealer but I've had 3 kids racing 50's since before we bought the dealership and they rode cobra's back then too.
do your homework: www.ktmtalk.com and www.cobratalk.com and make a decision for yourself.

The 12\14 tires tear up the ground. These tires weren't made to look fancy. They have a purpose. The Senior Pro is built to race with any competitor who might get in the way.

from their site...just so you know 14" front and 12" rear are not legal in any 50cc class that I know of. AMA or NMA

Paioli hydraulic fork 4.9" travel | Single hydraulic shock; 1.7" travel the stock cobra and ktm have 8+ inches of travel rear and more up front.

Stick with a known brand is all I could say.

Last edited:

Roadking

Dec 4, 2004
Thank you for your reply. No, whatever I get will never see a real track, I don't even know of a track anywhere near here. It will only be used for trail riding and tearing up my front yard (ha ha). What is drawing me to the Tomos is how good they look. They are less expensive then the best known bikes but they are by no means cheap. The Tomos pro is over $1500. I am considering the Senior which is $400 cheaper and my boys will not be racing so I don't think they need the disk brakes that come on the Pro.

Like I said in my post I worked on Tomos mopeds back in the 70's so this is no fly by night company. But they have no history in motorcross bikes so I really don't know. The engine is similar in looks to the ones on there mopeds. If it is then they are sold by the thousands all over the world, for what that is worth.

I am a little confused by the rear suspension numbers. The rear suspension is listed as having 1.7 inches of travel. But when I sat on the bike it went down at lest 6 inches. So the 1.7 inches is the shock travel not the actual suspension travel. Is the 8 inches that the KTM or Cobra have represent the actuall travel or the shock travel?

If I do go with these bikes (I have to buy two of whatever I get) I will post any information I can on them.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
One other little matter. Your buying them for growing kids. If you buy an odd bike (Tomo's or Lem) you will give them away before you sell them. The KTM's and Cobra's generally sell the instant that someone lists them.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
wheel travel is listed as the amount of distance the wheel actually travels. the shock actually travels more like 4.5"

R cannon is right on the price thing. A friend of mine bought a LEM racer. the bike hasn't been ridden and he is having to give it away.

If your just looking for something to kick around the yard and trails I'd suggest something like the xr70 its a really good play bike and resale it great...if you do get the tomos let us know how it turns out.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Jasel, my froend bought the expensive Lem Racer. The retail on the bike is 3500.00 or something very close.

I recently saw the same bike go for 1200.00 on ****. It was in excellent condition.

I would consider buying used. Let someone else take the hit. Or get the cobra.

ZeCatfish

Mar 25, 2005
I now this is an old post but I want to toss my cookies into this since we own a Tomos MC50 JR.
These are the toughest little bikes, theres a few issues.
1: The air filter it trash, go buy a Uni-Filter for an XR 50 and replace the stock one.
2: Get a truck mudflap, the 1/4" think platic ones and trim it with a saw to form a block for the air
filter, attach to the frame behind the air filter. Keeps the tire from slinging mud on it.
3: Replace the Chain SOON the cheapo one stock wears out quickly.

The main down side is that theres not a dealer close to me, so parts are a pain as most dealers don't carry parts in stock and NONE want to drop ship but the Main office says they can. Theres very few aftermarket parts.
They're tough as nails and have good acceleration with a kid on them, I've replaced the rear tire three times on his so far.
Sure they don't have the resale of a KTM but they'll out last a KTM 50 in the long run. You can get 70cc AirSail cylinder kit for them.
I've gotten my oldest a KX 65 to race on and ride around the feild but he still prefers to play ride on the Tomos.

Roadking

Dec 4, 2004
:) Great to hear from someone else who owns a Tomos ZeCatfish. I have two of them. A Junior for my 6 year old son and a Senior for my 7 year old son. I agree at how tough they are. I have no problems getting stock parts from my local dealer. My biggest complaint is almost no aftermarket support :bang: . I would like to do some upgrades to my oldest sons bike to get more power out of it. Right now he is using everything the bike has, hitting jumps at full speed and looking for more. I wish that I had bought the Senior Pro, it has better suspension and disk brakes. Might add these as an upgrade but really need more power. The larger rear wheel on the Senior takes some power away from the bike. Looking at going to a 70cc cylinder kit. Any advice would be great.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Roadking said:
:) . Looking at going to a 70cc cylinder kit. Any advice would be great.
Now that would not be legal in any racing org...so be careful. just for screwing around then just worry about all the extra heat. they run like stink but all the extra heat has to be dealt with.

ZeCatfish

Mar 25, 2005
Let me know how the 70cc kit goes, I don't see a need for it right now, my oldest is 10 and he loves to ride the 50 even with a KX65 in the shop.
We spend the weekends just riding around here. It never fails to amaze me how tough these little bikes are. He jumps the thing ALL the time here, after 2 years I'll have to re4place the rear shock, I'm going with a KTM SR Pro 50 shock on it and its time for a set of brakes front and rear.
My cousins have china built 90's and they're only 6 monthes old are literally sound like they're about to puke.
Good luck with the 70 kit. I think you'll find its timed out to turn 10,000 rpm where the stock cylinder is maxed at about 8500 RPM

Terry

Top Bottom