Tons of smoke from new bike???

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
My totally stock '98 200 ran very similarly to yours. After I started it, let it warm for a little while, and took off for the first time, it would bog and blow epic amounts of smoke. After a few seconds of this it would clear and run great. Once it was good and warm it ran great as long as I was gassing it and not lugging around. If I did putt around, even for just a little while, the next time I opened the throttle...epic smoke.
My first thought was that the pilot circuit was super rich. I opened the air screw a bit at a time until it was out over 2 turns. This actually helped quite a bit. Evidence that the pilot jet needed changing. I took out the stock (#48) jet and changed it to a #45. Big improvement, cured it in fact. I had to mess with the air screw a bit but I found the proper setting quickly. Snappy response off idle and little to no loading up even after lugging for extended periods.
That's all I did to the carb, I haven't messed with the main jet because I don't see the need.

Good luck,

Matt

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Jetting goes with 2 stroke. One step up or down on the main or pilot isn't going to kill you. To me it does sound like the pilot is rich. Once you take off the airbox cover it may run lean enough to cure the problem at low throttle anyway.

Joe Chief

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
89kdx200rdr, I think that the 1172 is richer than the 1173, do you know that? When I went to get a leaner needle for my bike, I had to ask the local shop about it, they said the bigger the number, the leaner the needle. This is because the bigger the number, the bigger, or wider, the needle. So that means that it lets less fuel through as it opens up. Just something I thought I'd bring up since you leaned out your pilot and main but richened your needle.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Everyone's info is great, especially palmer69-thanks for sharing your experience.

I was going to take it to the dealer, but I think I can handle this, even without the service manual (hasn't came in yet). I think I go down to a #45 pilot jet like palmer69 mentioned. And yes, I have read several articles on this from both the JustKDX site and Eric Gorr's site as well.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Try little adjustments at a time, I simply dropped my needle down to the last clip and it seems to be pretty close with as hot as it is outside.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
JasonWho, thanks a lot for taking the time to spell all of that out for me. I've already ordered the replacement pilot jet (may have to order a main jet too) and I'm looking forward to replacing it and seeing the difference. I'll let you know how it goes!

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I would forget about race gas in a kdx. If after running the 92 octane and getting the jetting right, you still experience detonation, run some octane booster. Race gas is expensive and kdx's just don't have to have it.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I've tried many fuels in my RM, the one that works best is Amoco 93. It contains anti-knock additives and was recommended to me by E.G.

Yesterday I went down one on the pilot, and as expected it smoked noticeably less off idle.

A bud of mine used the golden spectro oil at 40:1 in his 02 KDX200 and swore by it although I don't care for it myself. I like MX2T or Amsoil. Now he uses cheap outboard stuff from wal-mart (I'm sure there are plenty of arguments against this) but the bike runs well and he's happy. I guess he'll know for sure how well this oil works for him when he does a top end.

Chief

Top Bottom