Cr 1_2_5

Nov 13, 2005
yesterday i took my 2001 yz 125 out for about 5 hours of fast trail riding. I had been doing a lot of high rpm riding like i usually do. after riding i went and power washed it with a muffler plug got home and it would not start. I could kick forever and nothing. I would get a loud puff from the exhaust every once and a while. New plug same thing. The plugs came out smelling like unburned gas. and had a white liquid(looked like water with gas). Previously i had 185psi in compression and list night it came up about 110psi. Any help greatly appreciated.

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
You sprayed water in your airbox. It is common when you power wash a bike. Use a large zip lock freezer bag over your filter to prevent contamination in the future. For now you will have to service the filter.

Mark

Cr 1_2_5

Nov 13, 2005
changed the filter. First thing I did. So i dont see why it wont fire up. The loss of compression makes me believe the top end is burned up. Plus the entire bike is apart the motor and all so all the water that could have been in the bike had evaporated. So im not sure. Thanks for the suggestion though. Any other ideas before i go and buy a piston and rings.

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
I read your post more thouroughly and I think your top end is worn out. You probably did have some water contamination but that was minimal. 125's are not known for longevity.

Mark

Pro-Pain

Dec 4, 2006
i had a similar problem, somehow the cylinder got overflooded with gas and it would do the same thing yours does. i took the plug out and pushed it down the street in gear. it dried most of the gas out and it started up ok. this was a cr 250 1989

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
If water gets in the cylinder it can wash the oil off the cylinder walls and cause low compression. I'd throw a small amount (table spoon or less) of 2 stroke oil in through the plug hole and cycle it over a few times. Throw in a new plug and take it for a rip.

Also, you cleaned the carb, right?

Cr 1_2_5

Nov 13, 2005
thanks,ya i did clean the carb. I ordered a new ring the pistion was in good shape i figured while it was apart i'll replace it. So im going to try that table spoon of oil in the cylinder when it goes back together. we'll see what happens thanks guys.

Top Bottom