Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I have a CRF450R Y05.
I had a piston put in 37hrs ago.
The manual says to replace piston ~22hrs.
I have read in magazines about 450's taken apart at 75hrs and they say the piston and compression is still good.
I do not have a way to check compression and change the oil every 2-3 rides with synthetic. I changed it in the past at 50hrs and only noticed less vibration and smoother roll-on.

Whats the verdict for the normal population to change
a piston in the 450's - after so many hours?

Cost of a high compression piston is cheap ~$169
its the labor to put in $250+ .

Thanks,
Spokes574

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
Based from what I am hearing from folks ~50hrs is the sweet spot for changing the piston. I am at 44hr now, so I will change it at the end of January, by that time I should be in the high 50's Thanks,

Spokes574

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
On my 2005 CRF450R I changed the piston and rings (as well as valves, springs, etc.) at the 80 hour mark (two seasons of riding). The cylinder was fine and all the parts appeared to be in remarkable good condition. You can see some pictures I posted last year in my gallery.

Good luck with your rebuild.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ivan - We need to get you a decent camera. :)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
How long you can milk a rebuild out to is a fine line between good maintenance, manufactured defects and how it is rode. With maintenance and good parts there are engines that get rebuilt more than recomended by the oem. More relaxed usage and yes 100 hours is not uncommon. As long as you understand what can happen! Spokes statement about his bike rolls on better and less vibration is everything in a nutshell! Your bottom end power and vibration go before a compression gauge will tell you? Maybe. That short skirted piston starts rocking in the bore, not good! Valves getting past 3 shim sizes or rods snapping is still the worst.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom