hopingforayzf

Jun 12, 2005
Wats up guys? I have been a member for a while under a different name and didn't post that much. I have a new user name now though.(Forgot my password) Well anyways to my question(sorry if in wrong forum, its just that i hear about top end torqueing alot in this forum) I am curious to what kind of torque wrench you guys have. I am in the auto industry as a Ford service Tech and know the prices of all the expensive top of the line torque wrenches. Is it just as good to spend money on say a lesser expensive one then the Snap-On for example? Just curious, and sorry if in wrong forum.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
wondering what you service at fords :think: without knowledge of torque wrenches :yikes:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I've always been a fan of Klein Tools for larger wrenches, and Precision Instruments for the small ones.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The snap on torque wrenches are very nice. I have several of them. They really are a lifetime investment. Being a Ford tech, I know you can see the value on this. Plus, the dealer for snap on is probably stopping by your shop. You can make weekly payments on the wrench. The TQFR 100 is nice for motorcycle use.

However, the cheap ones they sell at autozone, Checker, Sears, etc. work quite well. The accuracy is less than the snap on's, but they are probably accurate enough.

Most of the motorcycle parts list a torque range for fasteners. The click type wrenches are accurate enough to stay within this range.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I know that I should probably be ashamed of this... but I only own torque wrenches from Harbor Freight!!! :)

For what I use it for, it is generally OK. I were to be rebuilding any of the newer 4-stroke heads, I would definately invest in a higher quality wrench.

hopingforayzf

Jun 12, 2005
At ford I do front end work, brake work, check engine lights, and stuff along those lines. I have a 1/2" torque wrench, so that is too big I believe to use for the bikes(Haven't needed to use a torque wrench on the bike, so don't know the values)I asume that most would be inch pounds not foot pounds. So do i go snap-on or what other cheaper brand work?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i would go craftsman for a good price and brand i can semi trust.................most tq values i have worried about are between 7 and 85 ft lbs and 85 is for rear axle nut which most of the time i dont worry about top ends get up near 30 lbs :think:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
hoping,
get a 1/4" drive

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
i use craftsman - mostly use the 1/4 for bikes but need the 1/2 for the rear wheel assembly and likely some other parts i have not yet had the pleasure of messing with... my local auto mechanic says he has used craftsman for years and has never had an issue with them - he confirms adjustment every year and has had no problems. i have the dial in the rating type.

Top Bottom