Flooder305

May 4, 2004
First does anyone when servicing their bikes use a torque wrench and manufacturer recommended torques, or does everyone just go with the old german torque Guttentight? Secondly if you do use a torque wrench have you ever gotten it calibrated? Finally where would you go to find someone to calibrate one? I called a local dealer and asked if they calibrated their's, and he said they didn't, and didn't have a clue where to do it..... :coocoo: :| :|

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
I use one quite often. Good question about having it calibrated...I'd be curious to see how accurate mine is. :yikes:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Snap on will service their brand of wrench.
I have used team torque in the past with excellent results.
Peace of mind is priceless in this regard for me.
If your torque wrench is not callibrated you are playing russian roulette.

http://www.teamtorque.com/main.html

Flooder305

May 4, 2004
Thanks Bill, I've probably used this wrench less than 50x since new, but I know if I snapped off a bolt inside the head on your baby, I'd have some explaining to do.... ;) Anyway maybe because you said it's a good idea Zio won't laugh at me for using it anymore.... :nener:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Flooder305 said:
Anyway maybe because you said it's a good idea Zio won't laugh at me for using it anymore.... :nener:

yeah, when you use it on hose clamps I'm still gonna laugh :laugh:

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
I have been told many times that beam torque wrenches are more accurate than the click type.I have sent my beam to be recalibrated bt S_K tools and it was no charge at the time.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Beam types I consider to be less fallible than their clicker equivalent.
Clicker torque wrenches rely on the operator to dial them up and then back down after every use.
If not the spring that is the core of their accuracy can take a set and yield less than desirable readings.
One of my first mentors in the motor building field would consider it a sacrilege to let the torque wrench leave your hands without dialing it down.
Having the wrench calibrated will also show you what you are really getting at each increment of torque in relationship to its settings.
Thats what will allow you to compensate for that 2~3% variation.
My last torque wrench I bought was an electronic snap on
tech wrench that had a1% accuracy throughout its range and no springs, instead it used a load cell.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=17510&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
$665 for a torque wrench? No thanks! I'll live with my torque wrench that may be 5% off, but 1/12th the price.

I guess if you are building performance motors for a living, it may be worth it.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I actually got the one w/o the spi output.
I wanted to know for sure that I was getting the yamaha cam caps perfect.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Good call SFO, I have read about how paramount the torque value is on those.

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
SFO said:
My last torque wrench I bought was an electronic snap on
tech wrench that had a1% accuracy throughout its range and no springs, instead it used a load cell.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=17510&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

DITTO on this one. I LOVE my Snappy digital ... auto shut off, I'll never have to "dial down" again. It works really well on Zio's hose clamps.
I think that I took my old Mac Tools, clicker out a year or so ago ... just to look at it! :cool:

wrench

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
And, after it vibrates and you release the pressure on the handle (does that sound weird Vince?) it reads the actual torque value of when you released pressure.
You can see right where you stopped...

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
SFO said:
And, after it vibrates and you release the pressure ......(does that sound weird Vince?) ...

Hmmmm .. nope doesnt seem wierd to me! :moon:

SFO said:
it reads the actual torque value of when you released pressure. You can see right where you stopped

Yeah, it is amazing to see just how easy it is to over torque something. With the old clicker type you think that if you set it to click at 44 lbs/ft, then that is what you achieved. When in reality you my have gone past that mark by 3 or 4 lbs/ft.

wrench

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
OK, now that you have a properly calibrated tool to read the amount of torque that you are applying to the fastener, how do you prepare the fastener and tapped hole? Most manuals don't specify whether you are to install fasteners dry, oiled, with anti-seize or loctite. Also, do you chase both the male and female threads with a tap/die to clean them before assembly? What about gasket set, do you go back and recheck the torque settings after a few heat cycles? (I'm not trying to start something here, I'm genuinely curious...)

Last edited:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Critical torqued fasteners are replaced w/each use.
I prepare the tapped holes with a form tap which does not remove material like a cutting tap.
I use either never seize or oil to lubricate the threads and washers.
Never have stuff together long enough to worry about gasket compression.

mach1

Oct 17, 2000
Standard procedure is to torque dry. I can think of only a few things needing lubed torque and when it's required it's always stated in the manual (aircraft applications). To be safe, always use the book. Also, a quick and dirty check of wrench cal is to grab a barbell weight (25, 35 lbs etc.), and suspend it from your wrench 1 foot from the socket. Clamp a bolt in a vise, put a nut on it and let the weight apply the torque. Since the weight is 1 foot from the socket, this gives you 25, (35 ft lbs etc.). If your wrench is shorter, just measure the distance between the socket and where you hang the weight and use that to calculate the torque,( at 6in the torque will be half the weight, at 8in it will be 2/3 weight etc.)

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
My 10 year old Snap-On broke and it cost $ 60 to fix but you should have something.
torque it down till it strips then back it off a quarter get expensive :laugh:

Top Bottom