tow job

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
So your out on the trail and something breaks that you can't fix in a timely manner. What in the heck do you do to get your bike back. Is there a way to tow them or do you have to fix the problem at a later date or is there some other solution.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Do what you have to do.

If you can not fix it where you are - tow it, push it, leave it :( (if you have to) and come back later with the tools to fix it.

If you have to ask this question - i am concerned! :silly:

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
The first rule is to never ride alone. The second rule is to carry a tow strap with you. Most all of the motorcycle supply companies (Dennis Kirk; Chaparral Motorsports; Motosports Outlet; any of the ones you see in the magazines)sell a simple and small tow strap. It is usually made of 1"x 12' to 15' of flat webbing with a sewn loop on one end, and it comes with a little pouch, which you can mount on your crossbar. Hell, you can even make your own. It dosen't have to support a big rig just your buddy and his bike. which hopefully will be rolling. The third rule is refer to the first rule.

:thumb:

mule

Nov 7, 2001
The way you do it is: loop strap/rope around foot peg on non-chain side of towing bike...the other end is lightly wrapped once around opposite footpeg of towed bike with person standing on rope/strap. Center of gravity is kept low and not affecting steering... If problem then you lift foot off of strap and it comes off, (hopefully).

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Sometimes sh*t happens when your out riding. But, don't forget to perform good maintenance on your bike and most simple breakdowns will be prevented.
Lew

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I'm with Lew on the maintenance issue. As for mule, I would not advise in that towing method. Having to tow rope/strap that close to the tires and drivetrain is asking for trouble. I have used another method several times very sucessfully. Wanna hear it, here it goes: Tie the strap to the subframe of the towing bike, then feed the strap under the bars between the bars and the upper triple clamp. wrap the strap up and over the bars ending on the grip(either one) then lay it on the grip. All the second rider has to do is to loosen his grip on the bars and the strap/rope slides off. We haven't had any problems with steering either.
Good luck....

:yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I've used the sub frame to tripple clamp style once, and the bottom line is you don't ever want to be there. It ruins your day, takes forever to get anywhere over rough terrain & hills suck. It is better than leaving your scoot 20 miles from the road, but not by much. Maintenance rules.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I was out riding a couple of months back and ended up needing a tow.
What happened was I got a stick/log/branch (big mother) stuck between the head & frame, entering by the radiator to water pump area - which caused the hose to be holed. It was jammed in pretty solid and had gashed the hose. We tried to fix it, but it kept leaking. If I'd left it, it probably wouldn't have leaked, but I wasn't sure how much coolant was making it to the pump (I thought it had just clamped the hose pretty much closed).
I decided not to ride any further (I wasn't sure when this piece of wood had turned up) as I didn't want the bike to seize. I got towed out to a good stopping point - tied over the bars btw. I think it came from the subframe on the other bike, but not sure - I wasn't keen to go over rough terrain & thankfully a gravel road was nearby.
See, these things happen whether the bike's maintained or not. Same ride we'd also had a brand new XR200 die (okay, I lie, it was 3 rides old). It wouldn't start. Cause turned out to be a stone stuck behind the decompression lever (we'd looked but just not spotted it).
Reason for the post? Expect the unexpected, it's going to happen sooner or later.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
My sons and I were out runnin' our Hare Scramble course. My oldest son, (both on TTR125's) bolts sheared off his rear sproket!
Now I'm a PM nut, I carry enough spare parts/tools in my fanny pack/fender bag to build a bike, but this time we were SOL. I rock climb so we all carry a 6' web strap for just this purpose. I tied it to my sub frame, looped it @ the TTR's handle bar center bar and had my 14 year old hold the one end on his grip, any problems he lets go and poof he free.
I let the cluch out on my bike and ran along it, (he did the same) to get everything moving before we hopped on the bikes. We had to retrace5-6 miles of H.S. type course to get to the truck. It wasn't pretty. At bad spots we got off and pushed, walked beside the bikes, but we made it.
You gotta use your head when you do this, the idea is to get out of the woods SAFELY, not fast!!
When I was a kid we always had someone break down. PM on the bike??? What was that!!!!!! Tools, we were lucky if we had money for 2 stroke oil! I had a Yami that lived on out board motor oil, cuz it was cheap!!
I can't tell you how many time we dragged a bike with a piece of carpet or garbage bag we found!!
Joe ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…