MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
Howdy,

Any trailer suggestions? I hope to get my bike in a couple months and I want to haul it around with a trailer. I'll only have one bike and maybe a cargo type box or something so i don't need a super deluxo enclosed trailer or anything like that.

I'm in the DC/MD area, in case someone knows of a good manufacturer in the area.

Thanks for your help.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I just got rid of an enclosed trailer, I thought it was gonna be super cool to have, and have all the room, the reality was, It ended up being suck a big ordeal to get everything ready, to go out... I am now gonna look for a high quality, light weight trailer

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
zero, i guess enclosed trailers are not for everybody.

i raced out of the back of a truck for 14 years. three years ago, i bought an enclosed trailer. i'm still kicking myself for not buying one sooner.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you want inexpensive I've seen some at Lowe's and Home Depot that appear to be reasonably well made and available in wither utility or enclosed types.

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
Yeah, I like enclosed but it's a bit much for me since I'm just starting out.

A utility taype trailer with a gate on the back is all I really want/need. I'll check out Home Despot and see what's up. I can go up to about a grand so I might find something decent sooner or later. I'll start asking around at the track when I get there.

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
Got my 5'x8' utility at Lowe's for arround $500. Put a little work in it & now I can haul 4 bikes on it with no trouble, or pull the rails off(in about 10 min.) & use it for a utility trailer. :thumb:

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Well, my main problem with my enclosed trailer, being 1500lbs, and 8x12 ft. It really was rough on my mercury towing it. IF I normally had and used a truck I'm sure an enclosed trailer would have been a lot better experience

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
A good route to go is to get a decent utility trailer. I bought one last year and I think it is great. Many trailer manufacturers out there and they all seem to make a Util trailer. I went with single axle 5x8. I can put 3 bikes in although it is a bit tight (2 forward and one rear facing).

This is the one I picked up: http://www.interstatewest.com/utility.html Interstate makes these for the dirtbike crowd and deck them out so they don't look like a landscaper setup.

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
That's perfect DahlElama! How much was it? Was it easy to get the rails in?(Noob here)

If I can't get one like that I'll probably put work into a Home Depot trailer.

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
No need to put rails in the trailer I have as it has 8 tiedown/tarp hooks that work just fine. My trailer cost about $1300. You can get them for less that aren't as fancy but do the same thing. 3500# load capacity lets me use it for bikes, yard crap, and anything else I need to haul.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by MadEarthWorm
Yeah, I like enclosed but it's a bit much for me since I'm just starting out.

A utility taype trailer with a gate on the back is all I really want/need. I'll check out Home Despot and see what's up. I can go up to about a grand so I might find something decent sooner or later. I'll start asking around at the track when I get there.

MEW :laugh: - Shoot for a 5 x 10 or 6 x 10 open utility trailer. That was my first trailer and it served me well hauling everything from bikes to lumber. Mine was $700 brand new (18 months ago) from BigTex (local here in Texas) but there are many manufacturers out there. Try and go with a pipe top rail and go with 14 or 15 inch tires, they will save you many headaches. I had a friend make an insert that I place on my trailer to haul bikes. It leaves space in front for coolers, gas, air tanks etc.

Check out BigTex Trailers for info. They are the largest manufacturer of flatbed trailers in the US. They may sell in your area. They have trailers with and without the rear ramp. I've had both, but prefer the ramp, because it keeps stuff from falling out the back of the trailer. :thumb:

I now have a 7x14 box trailer and love it, but still kept the utility trailer for Home Depot runs, firewood sojourns, etc.

I picked up the 30SA trailer in a 5 x 10 configuration.

Last edited:

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
I'm all over that Big Tex site, those trailers are perfect! The 30SA or 30AA both look good for me. Time to find a dealer in the area. The 35MC is nice too, but I might have to wait for a couple promotions before I get that.

Top Bottom