Transitioning from atv to dirt bike, need so advice.

lennyspall

May 17, 2008
Ive been riding atvs for many years, now im moving on to dirt bikes. Ive rode dirt bikes before but only on flat open areas and some dunes. I tryed to ride at a mx track on a dirt bike and found that I had a hard time trying to hold on and trying to control the throttle at the same time. Any advice?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Learn to stand up, that will put weight on the pegs allowing you to both stick to the bike better and control the bike with your leg muscles.

If you are like most quad riders I have seen buy a helmet. :)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I don't recommend switching to a thumb throttle on the bike. After years of ATV the twist grip may feel awkward to you but you will get used to it. Hang in there, it will come.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
dont try Too hard to hold the twist throttle steady, keep your wrist relaxed.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Don't try to do too much too quick.

You are the only one on the track that cares how slow you are. No one else will notice.

And like Patman says, get off that seat. Especially over obstacles. Sitting down even rolling over jumps is a good way to get pitched into the dirt.

Mar 18, 2006
Once you catch on, you will wonder why you ever rode a quad. Keep at it. And hang on with your legs, And make sure the bar/seat/peg relationship is natural in an aggressive position while standing. There are things available to raise/ lower and forward/back some of these things. :ride:

That reminds me, I want taller bars with less sweep...... :think:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
As I recall, he just found a thumb throttle that would work with his existing throttle cable.

Hmmm...the fact that modern thumpers usuallyhave 2 throttle cables makes it a bit more involved, I guess. At the time, it was a rider who switched back and forth between his 2 stroke 250R and a YZ250 2 stroke, both of which has single cable carbs.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom