23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Does anyone find that they lose a bit of oil after every ride? Have a new 200, and after the first 2 rides (~ 1 1/2 hours each), I noticed that the oil level is down to just above the lower line at the sight glass. First time out it was filled to right at the top line, and last time all the way to the top of the window, as others have suggested. Always serviced on the maintenance stand, straight up. Never see any fluid coming out anywhere when I stop during/after a ride. And hopefully can rule out a bad crank seal at this point. Should this be a concern? And how/where is it going?

Last edited:

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Does it keep going down after topping it off? Don't know about yours, but on my '95 if I fill it to the top of the glass it goes down after riding a little and getting worked in. What I do is put in the specified amount , which looks like too much at first, but looks correct after riding.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Basic drill is I service it to the top line, start & warm it a bit, then make a pass up & down the street (try to get up to 3rd or 4th gear). Then bring it back in, up on the centerstand, and let it settle a few minutes. Top it off to the correct level, and there it stays until we load for the next ride. Get it home, and it is down to around the center of the window. I know that there is only a couple ounces difference between half-window and to the top. Just concerns me where it is going - was hoping it was a common issue w/ KDX and I could stop worrying about it (like the KIPS noises!!!).

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
It does sound like it's losing a bit. To be sure, maybe put in the specified amount then when you get home drain it and see if that same amount comes out. I can't imagine seals being bad on a bike that new. They're not bad on my '95 yet. Some signs of leaking seals would be oil inside the flywheel-side cover and excessive smoke with correct jetting along with oily, fouling spark plug. Bad seals will usually cause poor running due to lack of proper primary compression. Also check around the end of the crankcase breather hose for oil. Maybe if you've laid the bike down (like I frequently do :( )some could get out?

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Hi Jayhawk, nice meeting you yesterday.

Nothing to worry about on the transmission oil, imo. Mine did the same thing when new, and I think it has something to do with new clutch plate material wearing off. This material, while on the plates displaces more volume than when worn off and in the oil. You should notice your fluid loss tapering off.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
was hoping it was a common issue w/ KDX
(oil consumption).

It's not. IF it's determined that tranny oil volume is actually going down and it's NOT coming out when downside-up..then it's going someplace it shouldn't. Crank seals would be the most likely problem.

Pretty unlikely on a new kdx. Hey..it's not like it's a ktm200!

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Thanks to all for the replies - I'll just wait and see what happens. Besides, if it needs crank seals, well, I need to learn how to change those eventually...

Jeff - hope I didn't come across as short on Saturday. We were on our way back to the truck, after my son had a pretty bad toss over the bars. He was a bit sore and wanting to get back. Hope to see you out there again soon.

Ken

Top Bottom