Sprout

Dec 10, 2002
I bought my wife a new left over 2001 200 kdx this last December. We went riding this week and was out for approx. five minutes when she told me her KDX was making a squealing noise. I didn't hear anything until she started letting the clutch out. I told her to drive it back to the house and after 25 feet the bike locked up on her. At this time the bike will not go into neutral nor move at all when you slip the clutch (the engine runs fine). At this time we only have 189 miles on the bike and I've changed the oil at least five times. I use 10W30 clutch saver (recommended by my dealer). The bad news is the fact my warranty just ran out a few weeks ago on the bike. I've rebuilt several motors and do all my work on vehicles. Any information would be most appreciated. I've searched the post and found one thread that had similar problems but not the same. Thanks again.

Sprout

Dec 10, 2002
I quess the good news would be I wouldn't need to split the case. I sure would like to know how and why that would happen. I thought maybe something may have popped loose inside. Just praying the KDX transmission is no basket case.

Sprout

Dec 10, 2002
Yup, I have a manual just wanted to make sure it wasn't an adjustment or worst, a huge job for a professional. I'll start tearing it down this week, just scared to see what I will find. Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The engine runs fine?

But it won't go into neutral?

I'm missing something. Maybe you meant it was running fine while it WAS running? Or with a bump start (with no clutch engagement) the thing runs ok?

If you've been running an oil recommended by the dealer and something is seized I'd say you have EVERY reason so expect them to fix it.....out of warranty by a few days or not.

At least ask the question.

BTW..there are two washers on the clutch assy, one of which is often missed. They are the same size, one under the basket, the other INside the basket under the clutchpak.

Good luck!

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
If you've established a good customer/dealer relationship, they might fudge the numbers so that the bike is under warranty to keep a repeat customer happy. I've had a few non-motorcycle related warranty claims filed this way, and they DO keep my business.
just a thought.

Gordo

Sprout

Dec 10, 2002
Well I took the bike to the dealer and they tore her down to find the input shaft and 6th gear seized. The dealership noted everything looked brand new and in great condition in the transmission otherwise. Around the seizure, the oil had clumped/gunked up in the immediate area. My guess would be to poor oil and then the heat. I've been using Clutch Saver 5W/30 per the dealership but will now be using something else. I'm not sure, but the dealership is going to cover the cost of parts and I've got the labor last I heard. The bike is suppose to be finished sometime this week so I will keep you all posted.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Hope things go well.  I have a hard time believing that the oil was the culprit. 

Good thing the dealer stood behind the bike.  Although - the labor will most likely be the larger of the two bills.

Let us know the outcome.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I use a very special oil. Hard to find, and very expensive.

Valvoline 10/30 or 10/40 motor oil.

Ok....I lied on the first part.

Going on four years and thousands upon thousands of miles. Haven't had a lick of problems I've heard others have from this-n-that super-d-duper trans oil.

The book specs motor oil, don't it? Why go to the trouble and expense of doing something else, then?

Change it twice as often as you think you should (probably) and you'll be just fine with simple motor oil.

re: 'oil had..clumped and gunked...'

Oh yeah! Gimme summa that!!

Glad the dealership is (seems to be) treating you right on this. Hope it all turns out peachy.....without no pits!

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
As long as the "api" symbol( 2 concentric circles with writing in them) doesn't say "energy conserving" in the lower half (10w-30 tends to have this), it'll be OK, as that denotes, I believe, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, the additive molybdinum, which clutches hate. I went throught the fancy oil phase too, but $1.28 castrol actually shifts better for me than the $5.00 a quart stuff from my dealer. Just a little food for thought.

Happy trails!!

Gordo

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
After it is repaired, I would inform the dealer that this would be the last of my dealings with him if he doesn't cover the whole cost. I would also tell him that I know many riders and they are all going to hear about it.
189 miles and a seizure with HIS oil in it? No way, no pay Jose. :|

I say FACTORY DEFECT.

Sprout

Dec 10, 2002
Well thanks guys. I'm going to call the dealer today and figure out if my wife's bike is done yet and what went wrong. Thanks to your replies, I will no longer waist my money on that $5 a bottle clutch saver. I take care of my things and always spend the extra money for the better parts/oils, but I've recently learned that is not always the case. This is a great website and I apreciate all the past and future replies. No better information is information from trial and error. Thanks again guys, I'll be posting my findings real soon. Hopefully Kawasaki will treat me right.

Sprout

Dec 10, 2002
Canyncarvr,

Do you use synthetic or just standard motor oil for your tranny? I've always had good luck with synthetic motor oils in my vehicles.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There are rating and type requirements listed in the manual. SE, SF or SG...10w-30 or 10w-40 as I recall (check to make sure..like I'm not 100% on the 'w' part, in may be just '10'. Not that THAT spec is any big deal).

So, yeah. That $1.39 a quart stuff not only works just fine, but it's what is specified for use by kawi.

..guess I said that part already.

Sprout

Dec 10, 2002
Knock me over with a feather. Picked up the bike yesterday and was told by the dealership the KDX only has a 90 day warranty. I must have heard the dealer wrong when I bought the bike because I thought they had a six month warranty. So, at this point I figured I will be paying the bill of a factory defect but Kawasaki decided they will cover the entire bill! I'm dead set on Kawis now and will stay faithful. I'm currently going through the parts sheet the dealership replaced. My wife took her bike for a quick spin and everything is running great!! Thanks for all the replies.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Sprout,
I'm very glad that you were taken care of by your dealer.
A word of advise...change out your oil more frequently. It is of very litle concern as to what oil you use, compared to the frequency of change.

Some of us change our oil avery ride or two. It is a hassle, but if you had ANY fluid in the bike long enough for it to "gunk up" it was way too long.

Get in the habit of changing fluids often and your engine will be happy!
You'll hear others like me who only use ATF in the tranny with great success....but most of us change it out often.

Top Bottom