outlaw3864

Aug 27, 2003
Hello,

Well I would like to start by saying, what a great forum!! I recently purchased a 86 KDX 200 and right off the bat I had problems with the carb, but I got all that fixed and was on my way or so I thought. I rode the bike for a while and everything seemed to be great, but after riding for a while I noticed that the gears would not shift correctly. It kind of lost its spring in the shift lever. Now the only way that I can shift gears is by taking the heal of my foot and kind of rocking the shifter up and down to go to the next gear. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
There is a good chance the shift return spring has popped off or broken.

You can get a parts diagram at www.buykawasaki.com

The shift return spring is accessible from the RIGHT sidecover (the clutch side).  Drain the oil, lay the bike on its side and pop the right cover off.  You will see the spring on the end of the shift shaft.  Pop it back in place if it is not broken.  If the spring refuses to stay in place you can replace it or possibly use some washers as shims between the spring and sidecover. 

outlaw3864

Aug 27, 2003
Thanks for the info. That sounds a whole lot less expensive than what I thought it would be. I'll give that a try.

Thanks again,

Mike:-)

Top Bottom