SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Yeah, I know, but right now we're still okay around here. It's getting worse with mtn bikers and hikers, but dirtbikers haven't been getting kicked out of areas yet. With such a low population and the fact I live in a place with only a population of less than 100000 for the entire area, which is a huge place.

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
Nature trail permit? If you accept government money to build a trail my guess would be that by accepting the funds you would relinquish control of the developed trail to the government. The Salinas Ramblers had a member build a permanent structure on their ranch, which was zoned for live stock grazing. This small shed caused their property taxes to go up, so this member volunteered to pay the extra taxes. After a few years of paying taxes this guy found out that he now had a legal claim on part of the ranch and started the ball rolling to take part of the ranch, lucky for the club they were tipped off before the guy was successful. I am sick of Americans simply putting their tails between their legs and scurrying away like cockroaches.

KWJams
If the property in question is in the unincorporated area of the county, I don't see how riding dirt bikes should be a limited freedom. When I lived on my family's ranch a neighboring property (just moved from San Jose) owner called the Sheriff and tried to get use to stop riding our dirt bikes on the back section of our property, but since we lived in the unincorporated part of the county they told him he had no recourse. He then called the Department of Forestry and said we were a threat to the environment, as our bike could cause a wild fire. The CDF showed up with a Sheriff who happened to be a friend of the family and they inspected our bikes. We all had spark arresters, so they thanked us and left. That guy was arrested for growing pot a couple of years later, thanks to an anonymous tip. :p Many environmental laws are unjust and need to be challenged. This sounds like our ranch, other then the river. It has been in our family for over 100 years; 35 of which have included motorcycles, so they would have a hard time proving the trails were not there 100 years ago. What a sad pathetic country this has become.
I say we all move to one state and dominate it politically, like the environmentalists do, and we can have our own little dirt bike conservative utopia. Here is a thought, why do most environmentalists either live in or come from the major cities?

HUSAFREEK

Jul 21, 2000
I hope they fight it.....

There was a guy recently who was stopped and fined for fishing with his son, because he had two poles in the water and his son 'was too young to be fishing.' Turns out they guy was wealthy enough to hire a lawyer and fight it in court, something I probably could not afford to do between time off and lawyer fees. Anyway he won. We need people who can afford to fight it to do so....
If you want to move to a dirtbike friendly area try researching on the net and by word of mouth. Check out Wallace, Idaho for instance!!:cool:

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
right thinking

KXaggregator is so right..... you would think with some of these posts, people dont even ride bikes or the limited freedom we have now... Take a look around, we are the outcasts and get hassled all the time... Just trailoring your bike down the road gets you evil stares from old people...So what if TP dad is a contractor, I mean, we are talking dirtbike trails, about 6 feet wide!!! This is just a sad testament about these pesky tree hugging liberals that dont want some dirt to be ridden on because it may harm someone else in china for instance. excuse while I puke...

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Yesterday a friend stopped by after spending the day riding over at the Badlands which is a area where we ride here in S.W.Wyoming. Just barren clay hills where nothing can grow in this high desert terrain.

It is all BLM land that we have been trying to get established as a legal riding area.

He said that two more of our favorite single track trail heads have been closed in just the past week! :(

We are being shut down because of flint chips (camp litter) and the remote possibility that there may be artifacts. :( Key words: there may be!

zcookie49, Have you ever pulled up alongside some civilians at a stop light and watch them freak out trying to lock their doors before the Evil Biker on the Harley gets them? I have! :(

KXaggerator, What if your family decided to start an open pit mine on your property or grow pot instead of riding dirt bikes?
So much for limited freedoms.

The point is that we can not fight the system no matter how corrupt it is because the system makes up the rules as they go along!

Like Husafreak said; We need people who can afford to fight,,,,fight who, the system mentioned above?

We need to find a way to live in their world.

We need to be invisible!

If they see us ( shredded trails,,, clouds of dust etc,,) or hear us ( loud pipes ) then we are visible and they will focus on us then.

Right now everyone is focused on the Oil and Logging companies.

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
Re: right thinking

Originally posted by zcookie49
So what if TP dad is a contractor,
Robert Pastrana does concrete work and Paving for driveway's. Very Big name in Annapolis. He's Got a 3-4 month wait for his work. On there answer machine it say's " If you need work then leave a message and wait two month's or Call someone else " He's very busy in the area and popular.

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
KXaggerator, What if your family decided to start an open pit mine on your property or grow pot instead of riding dirt bikes?
So much for limited freedoms.

KW,
Cannabis is a federally controlled substance, lets not split hairs. It is ironic that you mentioned a mine because the ranch has an open granite gravel pit. When Highway 101 was constructed through the Aromas area my family sold the state about an 1 mile stretch of the land it now runs through and sold the decomposed granite for the base of the road.
I think our problem is that we are too invisible as it is. The environmental wackos are successful due to lobbying, protesting, and tapping into peoples emotions. After all who wants to pollute mother earth and hurt the cute little animals, they are people too. This is where we and the Republicans fail. We try to get people to like us, and in doing so we abandon our position. During the tax cut debate it was stated that the reduction in rates would not be fair to the poor as they would not get a tax cut because they were at a level where they did not pay taxes and thus would see no benefit. So the the Republicans capitulated and watered down the bill. When a adversary attacks us as enemies of the environment we try to tell them how good we are and that we mean them no harm. Reagan was a great president because he did not back down and was able to express and sell his ideas to the American public and bypass his adversaries.
The environmental commissars see us as the enemy and attack us publicly at every turn and we are left defending our selves. The only way to score points is to go on the offensive and defend our rights as free citizens in a free republic. Oppression is still oppression even if it is written law. A prime example of this is the Jim Crow laws passed to limit the rights of Blacks in the South. Silence is often seen as agreeing with or an admission of guilt. No justice, no peace; as our foes have often stated. KW this is in no way meant to become personal, I am just expressing my disdain at our seeming desire to be oppressed and squelched.:(

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
I hear you loud and clear KXaggerator :) I wasn't trying to split hairs -- just trying to make a point.
One day pot is illegal the next day it is legal with prescription then it's illegal again. :confused:

Some of the posts here seemed to be about,,,," if it is privately owned land, then they should be able to damm well do as they please."

I was trying to point out that that is foolish thinking when the opposition is making up the rules as we go along.

Being in the line of work he is, he had to have known that what they were doing was not kosher. :(

I wish that we could all have the freedom to have play tracks like that . :(

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
This is the most biased article that I, as a journalist, have ever seen.
-I like how they mention that he has broken bones in the lead and described his “noisy, dirt-eating” bike in the second paragraph. Good journalists do not use adjectives like that--you immediately lose your (supposed) objectivity.
-More biased descriptions: “mountains of dirt,” “razing of trees.”
-All this crap about “bringing the site under control,” “assessing the damage” and “developing an interim plan to control the damage;” what a load of B.S.!! You’d think they were talking about a radioactive disaster! It’s a freaking dirt bike trail!
-Of COURSE they’re going to bring up him riding his bike into the water. Damn destructive dirt bikers anyway.
-“Anonymous complaints” do not count as sources of information and should not be cited here. Besides, as anyone with experience with anti-dirtbikers will know, “anonymous complainers” tend to exaggerate. Two XR 250s riding down the trail suddenly becomes 30 guys on race bikes screaming through the whiner’s lawn. “As many as 20!” Oh no, not 20 dirt bikers!
-The writer makes it sound as though it’s a shame the inspectors couldn’t gain access to the property and a triumph over evil when they do.

What a load of crap! What’s the purpose of “private property” when you can’t even enjoy your favorite hobby on it?

CC_Rider--I have to disagree about the rancher statement. Unfortunately, ranchers are almost as under fire as dirt bikers are. Those cattle really tear up the land, y’know.

One local track here--that had been around since the 60s--has already closed down due to people moving in and complaining and 2 others are under fire for the same thing. Those are race tracks with AMA sanctioned events held there, and one--Seattle International Raceway--includes a drag strip and road race course. Just like the airports, people move in and start whining about the noise.

Dirt bike trails that are 6,7 or 8 feet wide?!?! Wow. The ones Steve takes me on are like 2 feet wide or less. :eek:

It’s all a bunch of crap. I get so sick of the bs going on that I just want to start yelling. Around here, and I live in an area that isn’t nearly as bad as some in CA or the east coast, it is nearly impossible to get a track going. More are closing down than opening up. One track, Dairyland MX Park in Monroe, is operating on a thin edge. He can’t have any competitions at all, and he has a 40-rider limit on the track. BUT, he also has 4 different tracks in a huge field with trees all around the outside, and a 7-mile GP course around through the trees, and best of all the property owner and nearby farmer helps the owner of the track take care of it. Also, the state pen is just up the hill so the property value is never going to be real great!

All the same, it’s frustrating at how hard it is to ride your bike. I agree about loud bikes--they aren’t necessary and the 4-strokes are worse than 2-strokes ever were! IMO. Even XRs with the baffle removed are annoying. I don’t have a problem with having a silencer and spark arrestor on my bike and I wish everyone else would realize that this is a small compromise we have to make to be able to keep our riding areas.

RoadRunner

Oct 17, 1999
Speaking of 4 strokes being loud

I think I saw an fmf add for a new muffler that brings the 98-99 decibel yzfs down to 93 db. It ain't silent, but anyone who knows the difference between 93 and 99 or even 105 db with some of the pipes out there will tell you it's a major reduction. Environmentalists wont be happy with 93, probably not 83 either....but it's a step in the right direction.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
journalism

Firecracker, you are so right about the journalism, that is one of the reasons I got mad. I live outside Baltimore, and our "Baltimore Sun paper" is always like that, biased points of view...Your points of the noisy dirt eating bikes and broken bones is so on, so what? that is why they are called dirtbikes, and what does broken bones have to do with anything?.... also, they listed travis, "the boy who launched his bike into the san fran bay and was fined by the enviorment police. they paint him as this bad boy kid. They fail to mention that Travis was homeschooled with a high ass g.p.a., and is attending college courses the past year while being 17. the kid does more with every minute of his life, then some of us do in years. They didnt mention how he was a representative for the U.S. in the moto des nations or how he is always willing to sign autos, and even ride and take photos with locals at Budds Creek when he is practicing...The point that is upsetting is that these DNR had to trek all the way in the woods until they finally found something to pin on him...Now that he is famous, lets strike them with the fines, that they will have to pay us to "properly" get the dirt back into proper position, another way of squeezing money out of a new source. ... ...
Replying to posts about being invisible. I understand the point, really I do. But it is so frustrating. We spend lots of money on our hobby, and have to feel sometimes like outlaws... I mean, there is so much more destruction, pollution, erosion, and so on from everyone out there, and we get singled out for dirt shifting on a trail. .... I went to 4-stroke, I also have a removeable spark arrestor, which I take out on our private track we ride on, away from all the nosy, unbearable civillians. But that will probably last another year or two, until they build housing, and move us out......
You can almost see where in cases where people go crazy and move out into the wilderness cabins and arm themselves then dealing with these wackos...
There is so much dmge being done to the earth on a continual basis, and you know what, the earth heals, only humans will eventuall lose and extinct. Every monsoon, tidal waves, hurricanes, earthquakes, give me a break, the dirt moves there, even tho they are natural, that dmge is huge compared to a dunlop tire.
.... Then you have the huge industrial centers, showering the skys with vicious pollution, dumping crap in our natural resources, aka, the chesepeake bay here in maryland, and we get articles like this.
It almost feels like we have to give up from some posts
I'm not. When looking for house this year, I will attempt to get some land. if Not, oh well, if I decide to work on my bike and start it up in the neighborhood, I am.
I just think it will be a shame that Maryland may lose one of their natural resources, that is Travis, if he decides to pack up rather than conform to the ridiculous red tape that has been put down on him....

Jun 11, 2001
Move to Alaska!!!!

Wow. I grew up in a small rural town in AK, where there are a lot of native Alaskans there (not ESKIMOS:o) and I don't think thate a single person out there doesn't have access to an atv! There are no paved roads and it is a rather small town so the most practical form of transportation is a, from the lips of greenies "noisygasguzzlingatmostpherepollutingyadayada motorized rectreational vehicle" (fourwheeler). There are no police officers out here, but a VPSO, who is basically a policeman. Even he own an atv.People ride aroiund there quite a bit, no ones complaining. Why should they. I've ridden my honda 50, xr80 and my dads xr200 for about 3 1/2 years out there, during the summer, of course, and the only place were not supposed to ride is directly on the main road, but the sides of it are fair game and the only real time I use the sides are when a)to go to my buddies house or b) to got to the store. It is an absolute blast to ride around, and isn't in any "greenie jeopardly" right now. Oh yeah, my dads family own an absolute ton of property out there, theres a lot of trails and a gravel pit area with awesome jumps and a hardly used gravel air strip where I got my stock '93 XR80 up to 50 mph. TP should move out here! He may not be able to ride his bike all year round but I'd bet he'd be killer on a snowmachine. Thank God I like in Alaksa!

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
another article

Yeah, Nikki, that link was pretty cool... Here in Baltimore, They ran a Front page article on the Sports page the day of Budds Creek all on Travis in color, about all the "good" things this kid has done, his work ethic, his relentless committment to fans... It was nice to see, i personally think some hate mail was sent to the Sun, for the "dirt eating machine story" turned into the "17 yr old motocross champion superstar from Arundal county"....Just seeing Travis posing with each kid in line for photos after practice motos really showed me how much he gives to the sport...

bimmerpunk

May 9, 2001
Ive had it up to here!

I am a resident of Illinois and I am simply outraged at what i hear. Our government often gives people the "IDEA" they care about our earth, our enviorment. They dont, these enviormentalists are only getting there way becuase its a good statement. Well mayor John Doe supports the Tree Huggers vote for him. Its such BS.
I sit back and I see our system of government know as democracy torn apart.
Everything is to make a statement which is in turn to get votes.
Look at Kmart and Levi Jeans, they support the fight for Gay and Lesbian Rights. Do you think they honestly give a ...... about Gay and lesbians, do you think the top CEO's ane execs are concearened about them. NO NO NO they are concearned about getting there costumers! Just like politicians are concearned with getting there VOTES.
I am a very enviormentaly aware guy. I feel that we as amaricans generally abuse our enviorment. BUT I WILL TELL YOU THIS My dirtbike is no the cause and will never be the cause of any I REPEAT ANY enviormental destruction.
Lets point some real fingers. Hmm maybe air polution. How many large factories pay off the gov so they dont have to run filters on there plants smoke stacks. How much wildlife area is destroyed because of shoping malls. but guess what Shoping Malls create revenue, TAXES.
Ok so i feel that we often polute our atmosphere with unneeded polutoin such as Semi's without filters on there exhaust, and factory's but ya know what my car, and my motorcycle, and my outboard motor creat maybe a fraction of what a factory polutes every day.
These enviormentalist pick on the unprotected LIL guys,
I HATE IT sorry im venting talk to you l8er
thanx,
josh

Top Bottom