Trespassers!!!!!!!

Camaro

Feb 25, 2002
Please someone tell me if I'm in the wrong here.

Just to give some incite I'm a 24yr old blue collar worker and have busted my &$$ for a long time to have what I do but I had a neighbor really cross the line the other night.
I just bought 14acres of rural ground that I used to ride when I was a kid (with permission) as did a lot of other locals. I have my home here now and expect it to be just that. I came home from work the other night and found about 9 guys riding all over the place "hay field included" not just the track. My buddies know the field is off limits so I pulled out in the field to see what was going on. When Confronted one guy he told me he'd been invited so I had him bring me the guy that invited him.
Come to find out it is the guy around the corner from me who owns a lot identical to mine and a smaller lot in the same section. When i asked him why they were riding on my ground without my permission or even my having been their he said he thought it would be ok since my hay was cut and his wasn't yet. Then he had the nerve to get mad that I told him and his friends they weren't welcome and it was time for them to leave :bang: and he had the nerve to ask if it was ok for them to ride the track. :|

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
if it ain't, get it done now. And then get everyone's name and you can get the local law enforcement to issue a personalized no trespassing order to each of them.

TemeculaTim

Feb 2, 2005
The best no tresspassing sign I ever saw said "Tresspassers will be shot on site, Bikers will be shot and buried on site" I didn't feel the need to test that one out, the point was well made.

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
Tact: the art of making a point without making an enemy.

I agree that your neighbor was in the wrong, but he is likely to be your neighbor for a LONG time. Work something out with the guy - you might end up with twice as much riding area.

Camaro

Feb 25, 2002
The land is posted for no trespassing on all sides and has my business # on the front of the shop. The part that turned me off to the whole thing is nobody had permission to be out there and I require everyone riding my place to be in helmet and gogs which two guys weren't wearing and I'm trying to keep a decent noise level so I can stay in the good graces of my neighbors. Just kinda makes it tough when you've got guys running the loudest possible pipe they can get. If I'm feeling better about it tomorrow I may go talk to him but right now it's not in the cards.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Dont forget, if one of those people gets hurt on your property you could lose your property and anything else you have worked for. Id shut that crap down real quick. I mean its one thing if you get your friends over there, but you have someone else inviting god knows who...

Personally I have about 6 people that I would trust no to sue me and thats about it! :P

Camaro

Feb 25, 2002
2stroke I think you see just where I'm coming from. I'm considering some kind of fencing all the way around the track so I can gate it off separate from everything else and still allow people access to the shop without opening a gate. When I moved here I took the gate off the main drive because it looked a little prison like here. Maybe I can use the same gate for the track to give the same impression. Any suggestions on safe fencing for around the track (not the orange plastic stuff) since I still have neigbors but something safer than barbed wire. I have bails and covers but sometimes that doesn't keep everyone on the track. I really don't want anyone hurt or to get shut down.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Imagine that. Camaro lives in the same area I do where I have had my infamous problem with my neighbors. So much for moving to the country where the folk are all nice, right?

AlaskanRider

Aug 9, 2005
Up here everyone's cool because there's trails on every side of the road, but I never go on people's land, purposely. Especially inviting friends! Get a chain link fence, it's the best, and they can't run it over. I heard in some places they put invisible wire between things and when you cross it it like cuts into you.. :ohmy:

kuchera89

Jul 9, 2004
dont do the wire thing to lock up wheels!! you'd get sued in a heartbeat!!

and chain link fences dont stop dirt bikes!! my bike and my friend with two sitations knows that for a fact! :bang:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
2stroke said:
Dont forget, if one of those people gets hurt on your property you could lose your property and anything else you have worked for. . .
Personally I have about 6 people that I would trust no to sue me and thats about it! :P

It's not your friends suing you that you need to fear. It is the insurance company looking to recover the monies they just laid out because someone was hurt on your property. I believe subrogation is the term that applies.
This policy is what made me give up on the idea of having a track on my propery. The laws in RI made it waaaaaay to easy for someone, or some company to lay claim to my land if there were an accident.

lithium

Apr 10, 2005
I once came upon a house that had a sign posted as such

No tresspassing, Site guarded by dogs and firearms. Proceed at own risk

...get that sign and post it everywhere..

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
mafols said:
Does it have to be for someone else to know that it's not theirs? :|

yes.

That is why the greenies are trying to change land management laws from "open unless posted" to "closed unless posted".

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
Farmer John said:
yes.

That is why the greenies are trying to change land management laws from "open unless posted" to "closed unless posted".

So lets say you have a swimming pool in your back yard....should you have to put no trespassing signs to keep your neighbors from having a pool party in it while you are at work? :coocoo:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
if a neighbors toddler wanders into it and drowns and your pool is found to be insufficiently secured .......you better get a good lawyer :pissed:

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
ellandoh said:
if a neighbors toddler wanders into it and drowns and your pool is found to be insufficiently secured .......you better get a good lawyer :pissed:

I think you missed my point.....??????

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
mafols said:
So lets say you have a swimming pool in your back yard....should you have to put no trespassing signs to keep your neighbors from having a pool party in it while you are at work? :coocoo:

basically.

"open unless posted" has been one of our societies freedoms since the 1700's. Changing it is just another way the government lives our lives for us. But, back to the original post, direct disrespect of anothers personal property is just rude.

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
Farmer John said:
basically.

"open unless posted" has been one of our societies freedoms since the 1700's. Changing it is just another way the government lives our lives for us. But, back to the original post, direct disrespect of anothers personal property is just rude.

....I agree that it is rude :cool: but in Louisiana...it's trespassing...posted or otherwise.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
mafols said:
I think you missed my point.....??????
i get the point , that was just another example of a good reason to post signs ,etc. etc.

Camaro

Feb 25, 2002
According to my insurance company I shouldn't put up a sign that says not liable for personal injury as that makes the place look like a hazard to the general public. She advised to put up as many no trespassing signs as possible and to only place phrases like "not liable for personal injury" on a waiver if I open publicly or charge a fee for entry and even that needs to go through a lawyer..

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
2stroke said:
Dont forget, if one of those people gets hurt on your property you could lose your property and anything else you have worked for.

Many of the offroad events that take place in the east are only possible with the use of private land generously offered by their owners for these events. The "you could lose your land" paranoia is a direct threat to that generosity and I hate to see it spread.

Top Bottom