Truing wheels, how exact is needed

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
So I am truing wheels on the bike. laced a new rim, got an extra rear wheel complete. I am truing them all and have got the up and down to like .002" and the side to sid about .001" at the most. Looking at my friends bike that does not have problems, seems to be about the same. Is this exact enough to not have a problem?

Thanks, being a perfectionist here. I just want to be sure before I start mounting rubber and paddles.

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
When I bought my first brand new KDX 200, I was told to read the manual and follow. Well there was a section where it said make sure your spokes are tightened and so I got my new spoke wrench and tightened them all down real good, front & rear spokes. Well, I sooned learned this was not good!!!, I was riding soon after and noticed the front & rear wheels were real wobbly, well to make a long story short a friend of mine who knew how to true a wheel helped me and we got it as close as possible to true, but still a slight wobble, but I never had any noticable problems w/ handling. If you look at other guys wheels none are probably true, but unless you're going breakneck speed you shouldn't worry if you're wheel is not 100% true.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
After you true the wheel in the truing stand, you need to take it for a ride and then re-check it. It sounds like you have a dial indicator on the edge of the rim and .1" is going to look like a lot of variation if the indicator reads in .001". I try to be with in about 1/16" (0.062"), using my eyeballs not a micrometer. If you are at .1-.2" right now, I'd take it for a ride and check it after doing some jumps and big whoops.

Mark
80 kdx175
81 xs850
85 kdx200

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
I personally think that amount of misalignment is normal.

Did you put anything on the spoke/nipple junction like Anti Seize? I sure hope so!

Jon!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Originally posted by jmutiger
I personally think that amount of misalignment is normal.

Did you put anything on the spoke/nipple junction like Anti Seize? I sure hope so!

Jon!

Oh you know it! After taking apart 2 wheels, selling the KX hub that did not work, then cleaning all the spokes and nipples, you know I did! dipped each threaded end into the tube to get it all gunked up! I hate that stuff on my hands!

Sounds like I am close enough. My eyeball tells me I am especially when comparing to my friends. Just wanted a second opinion. thanks everyone!

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Matt; This is from the '01 KDX200 Service Manual.

Rim Runout:
Axial: TIR .5mm or less(.0197")
Radial: TIR .8mm or less(.0315")

Service Limit:
Axial: 2mm(.0787")
Radial: 2mm(.0787")

If you have a KDX250(in your profile) service manual, you should be able to find the info on your bike.

Good luck, :thumb:

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Reference the anti-seize: I guess it can't be done unless the rim is removed but will grease/oil at the junction where the spokes' threads enter the nipple offer any protection? Or is there anything else that I can use? I haven't needed to remove it yet so haven't had the opportunity to service it right. Thanx for any info. DVO

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom