kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I had some time to spare between sales calls last week, so I stopped by Bert's Mega Mall. Nice Store, they had some sweet KTM models that I wished I had. But the saleslady told me that the DMV just changed the Red Sticker rule again. She said that now any bike manufactured 2002 and before can run a green sticker.
So that same day I set up an appointment for the DMV. Of course the helpful (sarcastic) agent on the phone had no idea what I was talking about, but I made the appointment anyway.
Will let you guys know on Thursday.

Mx Dude

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2000
Heard the same thing. Figures.......I get a new 2003 and the new rule effects up to 2002s ! Here's something I got from another site:

There has recently been a substantial change to the registration of
off-highway vehicles in California.  Beginning with the upcoming June
2003 renewal date, ALL 2002 and older (2002 and back) model year OHV's
will be issued "green stickers".  This is regardless of
whether these
vehicles were originally issued red or green stickers and regardless of
whether they do or do not meet the emissions requirements for OHV's in
the state of CA.  From model year 2003 and on, all
"non-complying" OHV's
will receive "red stickers".

I've contacted both the DMV and the CA Air Resources Board (ARB) and
found out that the information below is being distributed as an insert
in all the upcoming June 2003 OHV renewal notices.  This info is not
being generally distributed via websites or handouts, only as the insert
in DMV renewal notices.  Below is the relevant info from a copy of the
insert obtained from DMV.

"ATTENTION CALIFORNIA OFF-HIGHWAY RECREATIONAL VEHICLE (OHRV) OWNERS

Off Highway-Recreational Vehicle (OHRV) registration guidelines have
changed.  The type of registration sticker issued this year to your
OHRV
may be different than previously issued.  Please read the following
important information regarding the use of your OHRV on public lands in
California.

California has an OHRV program that includes the way your OHRV's are
built for use in California, how they are registered by the Department
of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and how they are ridden on public lands.
http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov

Green Sticker
Year round use at all California OHRV riding areas.

Green Stickers are issued to OHRVs certified by their manufacturer to
meet the California OHRV emission standards (anti-pollution) and ALL
2002 model year and older OHRVs.  OHRVs certified to meet emissions
standards are identified by a label attached to the vehicle frame by the
manufacturer

Red Sticker
At California OHRV riding areas, seasonal use only.

A list of the seasonal riding periods is available on the web at:
http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21928.

Red stickers are issued to 2003 model year and newer OHRVs that are not
certified to California OHRV emissions standards.  Your OHRV should be
issued a Red Sticker if it is a 2003 model year or newer vehicle and you
see a "C or "3" in the eighth digit of your VIN.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yep, it's true.

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
Mx Dude,

Don't feel bad... I got screwed also. I got TWO 2003 bikes, and I purchased one of them a WEEK before the new ruling. I love my luck, but I'm not bitter.

Jimbo

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Well, I went to the DMV yesterday.

It's true. 2002 and later bikes get a green sticker.

They(DMV) will send Green Stickers to everyone liscensed and qulified via mail before June 03.

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Now the question is can you dual sport one on the 2002 bikes that was a red sticker but is now a green sticker.

Elkster, can you help me out here. I want to dual sport my 02' 520 MXC.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yeah sure, send me 100 clams and I'll send you a plate.;):)

I think that version of the 520 is still not able to get a plate. If it was a red sticker in the first place, then it probably can only get a green sticker. If it was platable in the first place, then you would have gotten a green sticker originally. Sorry dude!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Elk, I don't get this, if the whole red sticker thing has been recended for 2002 and prior years, then it should not matter what the vin # is , a green bike is a green bike and by issueing a green sticker they are saying that it meets AQMD stds for emissions and as long as we can meet DOT stds we should be able to get a plate.

I'm starting to feel a little repressed by this DMV regime, where's George W, he won't put up with this.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I just got back from the Norco DMV. I have now a green sticker and a plate for my 01 WR. :laugh:

Elk- I know you advised against it but I needed to get out of the office today.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Jeff, are you saying that I can get a plate for my 520 even though it has a 3 or c in the vin #

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
No.... I allready had a plate. I just added the green sticker. In my experience Norco DMV has been the best to deal with. They were the ones to get my bike plated. All the others couldnt figure out how to do it.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Do you have a 3 or c in your vin # ???, the reason I'm asking is, I don't want to get rid of my bike if I can get a plate

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
No dice Jim, if it has a 3 or C, it's does not conform. It'll get a green sticker. The emissions for the off-highway and the street are different. It's the manufacturer that denotes how and what the bike will conform to. Having that 3 or C tells the DMV that it will not conform to the street. If your bike has the 3 or C, it will not be allowed to get a plate, no matter what. When you look up the Vin and what the digits are when defined, the 3 and C are saying closed course only and non CA compliant.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
No dice Jim, if it has a 3 or C, it's does not conform. It'll get a green sticker. The emissions for the off-highway and the street are different. It's the manufacturer that denotes how and what the bike will conform to. Having that 3 or C tells the DMV that it will not conform to the street. If your bike has the 3 or C, it will not be allowed to get a plate, no matter what. When you look up the Vin and what the digits are when defined, the 3 and C are saying closed course only and non CA compliant.

Glad you got your plate Jeff, hope they don't go back and repeal the reg, they play dirty some times.:|

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Elk , do you know how the DMV checksums the VIN? Would they notice a "8" or "0" for that digit?

Just as a theoretical question of course.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Won't fly Kiwi, the computer automatically checks for conforming vins, calculates it after you enter it. If a digit is changed, it kicks it back.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Opened my mail today. The DRZ gets it green sticker tonight. Now if I can just avoid the "powers that be" measuring sound levels off of my Yosh exhaust.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I heard a couple of the guys from D37 just plated their 01 yz 426's, this is sounding good

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
How they did it Jim I have no idea. No other way than to mis-represent their Vin somehow or have someone on the inside. All this is going to do is to bring attention to the whole thing and it'll shotgun effect everyone.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I've heard of people getting plates, then also getting a notice in the mail months later that those same plates are being cancelled per an earlier mistake.
Your right Elk- it's all in the VIN.
I know I'll never be able to plate the DRZ, but I'm good with the Green Sticker

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
What I am understanding is, that with this grandfathering of all 02's and older bikes, the VIN # is a non issue

I'm still waiting and watching to see just how many get plated, so far it's (2) 01 426's and (1) 01 520

Top Bottom