FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
I was thinking about maybe wanting to go with a ttr 125 and put some hop ups on it. After a good list of rims,big bores,exhaust,lighten flywheel, tripleclamp, and a swingarm, the weight is reducted to be about 165 lbs. While 2 smokes run roughly around 150lbs. DO you think with that list of mods, it would be competitive? The total price with the bike and all aftermarket accessories is about $3500

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Depends on the rider.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Against 2 stroke 125's? MX'ers? There would have a be a HUGE difference in riding skills, sorry but you'd be lucky to get close to half the HP of a 125 (mx'er) out of that TTR.

Last edited:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Not only would you be down on HP, but you don't have the brakes, cooling, suspension to be even in the same league. The other thing I learned when I looked at one of these for my son's first bike was the frame is not complete; that is, the engine is a stressed member. BBR makes an engine cradle that ties the frame together and this is an absolute must for any real use/abuse. Once the frame stretches it's too late.

After adding it all up we decided to get him a KX100 instead and it's a great bike.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
No challenge really. If I build both engines I can always ensure I get the trickest one :)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Around here you can run a TT-R 125 in the 80 class and the 125L in Supermini due to wheel size rules. Either way the bike will get smoked and you will be out a whack of cash. They are incredibly fun playbikes but unless you have Rich's skills and an endless wallet get a race bike if you want to race.

FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
I noticed in the picture that you dont have an aftermarket suspension. Can you actually hit decent size jumps on these without too much pain with the aftermarket springs and shock. And i looked on the internet today and you can race up to a 150cc four stroke in the 85 class.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Sounds kind of rediculous to buy a TTR-125 and spend loads of money on it just to get it to be even CLOSE to an 85cc class 2-stroke, which it still hardly will, when you can just buy an 85cc class 2-stroke and be done with it!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
FMFHonda161 said:
i looked on the internet today and you can race up to a 150cc four stroke in the 85 class.

That is correct, keep in mind if you have the L version with the bigger wheels that is where you have issues and can usually only run it in the Supermini category.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Geesh Okie that thing looks pretty good now that all the melted plastic has been scraped off after Billywho took it up to re-entry speed :cool:

Top Bottom