motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
is it ok to take run the ttr with out the spark arestor in on the stock exhaust? this guy told me it can burn the cynlinder head up if i keep runnin the exhaust without the spark arestor.

------------------
Danny
ttr125L (my first bike)
ktm200mxc (my next bike)

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Well, you ever told you that you could burn up your cylinder by taking off your spark arrestor, probably doesnt ride a bike! You can run it without the spark arrestor! It might run a tad bit better but not much :)

------------------
"You know your introuble when you see the landing ramp, before you land"
--TTR-250 MX--
My Photos

Pumpkinhead

Mar 6, 2001
You have to ask yourself the question...What is the advantage to running without the arrestor?

Besides the obvious ....too much noise.

It should make your bike run leaner, and if it is back firing or bogging you could seize it.

------------------
(formerly XR44ME) Rick

AMA Member
NETRA Member
'00 KTM 300 MX/C

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
oh ok to me it runs a tad faster without it in but i will just invest in a new pipe prolly from dmc or bbr.

------------------
Danny
ttr125L (my first bike)
super ttr frame kit from dmc for 4500 will be my next project>

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The TTR125 will run VERY LEAN if you pull the spark arrestor WITHOUT re-jetting to compensate. It becomes lean enough that you could easily cause the engine to knock and overheat causing damage to the cylinder head and piston.

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

"Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the life-long attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
Rather than pull the whole unit out, simply drill several 1/4" holes in the area around the outlet. This will allow more flow, and maintain the spark arrestor function....AND, if you decide to go back to stock, you can simple fill the holes with some short sheet metal screws.

Mike

------------------

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
I don't see how drilling holes in the end plate can retain the spark arrestor.
High priority should be not starting a fire or irate neighbors. I've seen both and its not pretty, caused from teenages on rat-bikes. A ttr125 is too new and nice to become a rat-bike. BBR makes a plate to increase the volume of plenum.
IMO If you want to go faster keep working hard and buy a bigger bike.

------------------

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
just some clarification on the holes......

When you pull the outer cap off most of todays bikes (CA models anyways) the exhaust port usually has a 'reducer' welded in place to restrict the final diameter.

When you pull the outer cap off the TTR you will see that the spark arrestor was developed around something like a 2" final exit diameter but within that space they welded a 1" restictor.

Drill the holes between the restrictor and the inside diameter of the SA and you are will increase the exit diameter without losing the SA function.

Mike

------------------

Top Bottom