NeedSpeed

Feb 16, 2001
I recently received a gift cert to the local Bike shop and was wondering if it would be worth it to get an AfterMarket exhaust for my TTR 250...I have heard the Big Gun Exhaust adds 5 HP.. Does anybody know if this is accurate or are the just blowing exhaust up my :moon:
Besides Big Gun, does anybody have any experience with the exhausts offered for this bike, and if so, would I be ok just to move the Clip on the needle after I put it on...( I ride close to sea level)
Any Suggestions or Ideas would be appreciated....
Thanks,
J

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I put the White Bro's E-Series on mine and it made a significant difference. The stock pipe is very restrictive and heavy. The E-Series uses a disk system so you can vary the restriction and therefore the noise level. In my guesstimation changing the pipe made almost as much improvement as putting on the mikuni 33 pumper carb.

I'd bet money you won't see a 5 hp gain though :think:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yoshimura also makes both an exhaust and a slip on for the TTR250.

5hp is pretty aggressive, then again the actual HP vs' seat of the pants HP gains are always waaaay different. Add in the makin' a sale multiplier and it gets all out of wack. :)

NeedSpeed

Feb 16, 2001
I figured the 5 HP was kinda High.....
I guess I'll do some shopping around and see what I can come up with..
I do like the Idea of the Disk system and the ability to "Tune It"...
TTRGuy, did you do change the Head pipe also ? ?

Also has anybody used th FMF Megamax ? ?

J

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
No I didn't change the header. I thought long and hard about it though. If you are thinking about future upgrades the 33 mm mikuni pumper should be next unless you go wild and do the big bore.

tmckittrick

Nov 3, 2002
Hello,
I have recently installed a White Brothers tuneable exhaust system on my 99 TTR 250. This made a huge improvement (as far as I'm concerned). This pipe added significant low end snap. I am just getting back in to riding after a 20 year absence and love this bike for tight trail riding. I plan on upgrading the forks next.

Ride well,
Tom

A930Turbo

Dec 27, 2002
I have an '03 TTR 250, was looking to upgrade mine and was wondering how the exhaust upgrades have panned out for you guys? Any more experiances/thoughts?

TTRGuy: What does the 33 mm mikuni pumper do for the bike?

I'm thinking with a better exhaust, I need a better intake system, i.e. air filter, etc...More air in. More air out.

Regards,
Jim

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
I love the added boost my big gun added to my 02 ttr. Granted its still not in the league of my 250f, but still has made a great difference.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
A930 - The mikuni gave me a lot better throttle response and seemed to make about as much difference as changing out the stock pipe. I never could find jets for the stock Teikei (sp) either so I figured it was a 'must do' as I was going to be riding at a lot of different altitudes and temps.

i will say that the bike always seemed to be a little finicky about the fuel screw and jetting in general after putting it on (probably before it too but I changed it out before really needing to change jetting). I made a homemade extension for the fuel screw so it could be adjusted easily.

A930Turbo

Dec 27, 2002
SCHLAVA,

Did you buy the silencer only or the entire kit? I know someone who added one and he said he had to rejet his carb, so I'm thinking he bought the kit? There's a big price difference, so I was wondering if it was worth the extra money? TIA

Jim

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
I got the header and silencer. I went to a 140 main. Stock is a 137. I need to find a richer pilot. But I have got it ok with the fuel screw. I don't know if its worth the extra money over just the silencer. But I can tell you it was worth it compared to the stock system. I also pulled my airbox snorkel and bought those white bros 1" airfilter plugs. I drilled out my right side airbox cover and put in 12 of them. Seems to work pretty nice now.

Mark

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
I have 99 TTR with Big Gun exhaust system and it has a very noticible performance increase. I have a friend who had a stock exhaust on his TTR and we switched bikes and he couldn't believe the difference and ordered a system for his the next week. You can get jets for the TTR 250 stock carb. Go to your Yamaha Dealer and have him look up jets using same part# prefix as a GT-80.........CRX

Top Bottom