AR15 guy

Mar 15, 2006
First off I am a noob when it comes to dirt biking and ATV's. Just recently decided to get into dirt biking with some friends (most on ATV's but couple on bikes). I will be doing trails mostly. Up and down hills here in WV so I am looking at the mid-size 230 series yamaha ttr230 or the honda crf230. I have been reading reviews and people seem to think the Honda is built better and faster.

I plan on buying a bike very very soon. I am 5' 9'' and 180lbs. I know these bikes are alittle heavy but I am strong. Most of that 180lbs is muscle (260 max bench right now :) ). I am also 21 so I don't expect to get any taller. I have sat on both bikes and they honestly feel the same height and weight wise. However I do like the fact the honda has a key and not a switch.

Dealer I am going through is pushing the ttr230 on me. It is also cheaper at 2995$ compared to the honda at 3200$. However if the Honda is better I will pay the extra 200$. He is telling me the ttr230 will be faster. He runs the honda side of the shop but is recommending yamaha bikes :coocoo:

As far as power, reliability, and all around performance goes which of these bikes do you prefer?

Right now these are the only two I am considering. They are shorter agile 4 strokes which is what I really need for the riding I will be doing. Most trails here are of course up and down hills, sometimes having to go rather slow so a 2 smoke is out of the question.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
If you're happy with it, buy a 230, but I would buy something with a little more performance capabilities. A KDX 200 would wipe the trails with the 230 when you want to, while being just as easy to ride. The 230's are very tame, and will likely become boring in a short time. A KDX is built for the type of riding you describe, it isn't a peaky, high revving motocross bike.

02rm125

Mar 15, 2006
look into a wr250f if you want a fast trail bike....its basicly a yz250f set up for off road riding. But...if you want a cheaper, more tame bike go with either one of the 230's you mentioned, you wont be disappointed with either one

AR15 guy

Mar 15, 2006
I don't need anything completely crazy fast. Most of the guys I ride with ride 4x4 quads so I don't need something extremely fast to keep up.

Another reason I am looking at the 230 series is the price. I can't afford anything real expensive right now.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
It's your money and we can't force you to buy something you don't want to, but if money is a concern, then look for a used bike. That way you can afford to getsomething that has some performance, as well as being cheap. You might not think you need something more than a slow, porky playbike now, but once you get on it, you will soon find the limitations of the 230's. Even though you're only having to keep up to quads, you will start wanting to play around, try a few jumps, and generally push the bike ahrder. A higher performance bike like a KDX or WR can accomodate this much better than either of the 230's. If you don't mind a slow bike that has to stay stuck to the dirt because it doesn't have the suspension for anything more, then buy the CRF or TTR.

AR15 guy

Mar 15, 2006
What about the ttr250? Is it a better bike? Oh and I am pretty much stuck with buying new. Because I am financing.

Just checked out the kdx200 and it does have some really good features for the price. I also assume it is much faster since it is a 2 stroke. If I can find a good dealer locally I may go with the kdx200. How often do these things need rebuilt? And whats the average cost to build a 2 stroke?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2006
There is a KDX section in this forum. You should give it a look. I feel sure can find an answer to just about any question there. A rebuild on a 2t is fairly cheap so will not hit you 2 hard. If you do not ride all out every weekend, you could get away with an annual rebuild for less than $175 if you do it yourself. Of coarse you could go longer but that is not responsible maint. and would not keep the bike at reasonable performance.

I have a friend with an '05 crf230. He purchased it around xmas and now wants to ride my kx250 all the time because he has lost interest in the 230 4t. Also the front suspension sux IMO. :fft:

kawicam125

Uhhh...
Mar 14, 2006
i would say go for the kdx. its got power when you need it and youll be able to beat your quad-riding friends anytime( once you get used to it).

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
A KDX does not need to be rebuilt very often if it's well maintained (clean air filter, change oil, good premix at a reasonable ratio). You should be able to get atleast 2 seasons (probably A LOT more) out of a top end.

AR15 guy

Mar 15, 2006
I checked out some KDX's today. Nice bikes. Couldn't get one for less than 4400$ tho. Went by the honda dealer and told him I was looking at the KDX and he offered me the 230 for 3000$...I took it. Decided it should be good for what I plan to do. Plus I have zero experience on a bike so this will be a good starter.

AR15 guy

Mar 15, 2006
Well I got the crf230f and rode it today. Its a blast. Much quicker than I expected. Already had a nice crash on it WOOT.

Goose91

Jan 18, 2006
Personally as a Honda CRF 230 owner, I like it alot. My dad and grandad used to ride. My grandad had several bikes, however his favorite was his 250 Honda 4-stroke. I think he had 2 Suzuki's, a Kawasaki, and then the Honda. Everything I hear pushes Honda. I really am not sure which has more power. To be exact the Honda has 223 cc's. I'm most positive the Yamaha isn't much if any faster. I like that Honda's have keys. My friends or brother can't jump on and take off. Nothing against Yamaha fans, but my neighor has a 125, and compared to the Suzuki 125, it looks...skin and bones sorta. I don't know to much about the Yamaha 230. I know for fact '05 and likely '06 Honda 230 has e-start. All '06 Yamaha's have e-start. I guess it's kinda personal prefference. I'd go with the Honda.

Goose

Jul 25, 2005
once you get used to it and you want more power throw a procircuit or fmf exhaust on it, threw one on my brothers xr200(same motor as 230 just not as bored out). increased tremendously in response and overall power. just an idea.

AR15 guy

Mar 15, 2006
I plan on modding it some whenever I get used to it and the warranty runs out. I think the BBR cam may even be on the list. Its hard to tell what will happen to this bike. I'm sure it will get a lot of mod's. I may go with the BBR fork and rear spring if I ever get into jumping (not huge stuff). Probably keep it higher whenever I'm on it also.

I plan on riding it some more tomorrow. I am still really sore from the crash the other day. It was crazy. Both of my thighs are bruised, I thought I broke my nose also. Luckily I didn't. I guess my helmet pushed my goggles down onto my nose...not sure.

trojanfan

Feb 19, 2006
I have been going through the same decisions. I am about the same height as you, but a lot older (49). I have been riding both a KDX220 and a CRF230. For someone starting out, the 230 is probably the way to go, but don't forget about the KDX when you get better. At your size and youth, it won't be long until you'll be wanting more. The good news is the 230 has good resale right now (check **** listings).

If you are looking to get some performance right now, check out the Project CRF230 at this site:

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/projects/crf230f/1/

There are some cheap things you can do to make the bike perform better.

Goose91

Jan 18, 2006
Hey if you want more power, check out this website http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/projects/crf230f/1/ you take this black thing out of your tail pipe and it'll give you more power. It also says to adjust some other stuff. My dad took it out of my brother's 150. He didn't adjust it or anything. It's definatly louder, he says he feels like he's in fifth gear, when he's in 4th now. I havn't done that to my 230 yet.

Goose

Top Bottom