SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I was just gifted a toshiba model#CF3054J.
My old tv puked and the piggy bank is going towards DW.
Anyways, a friend gave me this tv and the problem is the brightness won't go high enough. The screen is too dark to make out details in the shadows. Is there a way to reconfigure some dipswitches or redo the parameters on this unit to make it serviceable again?
Does someone know how to get a hold of a service manual so I can sit down with an oscilliscope?
Is the picture tube just sol?
Am I dreaming of being a tv repair man and should just wake up?
Thanks for any help.
Bill

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
You need what i've heard called Samsprints on that model. Click here It has locations of test points and what types of waves you should be getting at those locations. Its like a shop manual for you TV. Make sure you discharge the tube. Those things hold a charge that will more that knock you socks off. Besides the O-scope you might need a signal generator. I know for VCRs they make a certain test tape that puts out patterns. I think for TVs and monitors its call a pattern generator. Its possible it could be the tube, but mroe than likely its repairable.

Last edited:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
If I'm not mistaken the Sams manuals used to be about 20 or 30 bucks per model. I had my RCA 20" start doing funky things to me about 6 yrs ago. It turned out to be a cold soider joint on a ground that was causing a nasty hum on the sound and the picture to move up about 1/2 inch in the tube.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Bill,
Does this mean if you can't get it clamped down the the Bridgeport, you are lost?

:debil:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I rekon if I can nurse a 30year old Mori Fanuc controller through its golden years, I can take on a tv.
Shoot there are only two boards in it.
I learned a long time ago, you don't need to know everything- you just need to know who does.
That is the great thing about DRN, a bunch of like minded individuals.
Still trying to find the manual, BTW.
I emailed a few places but no answer.
How many members and no tv repairmen?
(no offense danman) samsprints didn't have it btw.
Any body want to trade time?

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Cool. I PMed you with a place to download one. It seems that they have your model.

That doityourself.com place is pretty good. I've posted there before, but did not get near the response I would have here.

Top Bottom