Twinwall / Cycra ProBend handguard mounting problem

drzkx

Mar 21, 2005
Hello-

Has anyone here tried this combo? I have mounted the ProBends on my regular ProTapers with no problems, but mounting them to Twinwall seems to be a problem as A) the bar end's inside diameter is a lot bigger than regular bar hole diameterss and B)the inner handlebar mounting is so fat that the clamps don't fit!

Anyone figure this out?

Thanks for any suggestions :cool:

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I ran into that problem alittle while back myself. I replaced my bent Pro Tapers with some Twinwalls, and then I decided to race a few Harescrambles and tried mounting up some handguards, but those suckers just wouldn't fit. Ended up putting on the bent ProTapers, but I guess it worked out since I hit more trees than dodged them.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You might want to consider getting the triple clamp mount to avoid the bar thickness issue and then maybe either multiple layers of racer tape or some rubber hose depending how much of a gap you are trying to make up for the bar end.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That's why we're here. :cool:

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
Due to their funky bend and brackets, I had problems mounting the Cycra's to Alumilites, Renthals, & Pro Tapers.
I sold them to a friend who was confident he could get them to work on his Renthals, NOT !!!!
He called Cycra's tech guy who said "you aren't the only ones with that problem". Go Figure. :bang:

I have the same problem with my Twinwall ends being to large in diameter. Get some aluminum tape and wrap the expandable bar ends to get a snug fit, then tighten it, it should go. I tried other tapes (electrical, teflon, masking, pipe wrap 10mil) which didn't hold up as long as the aluminum tape.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Or you could simply order the rubber bar end mounts that Cycra sells. They specifically told me I'd need them with TwinWalls since the aluminum bar ends don't fit.

Oct 26, 2004
soulmate and mtk,,
did you guys mount the inner part to the top triple clamp,
or did you figure out a way to mount to the bar itself?

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
98940 said:
soulmate and mtk,,
did you guys mount the inner part to the top triple clamp,
or did you figure out a way to mount to the bar itself?

I didn't even use them, I would have had to tweak the crap outta the handguards to make them line up with the inner mounting brackets.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I have the side mount triple clamp mounts for mine, to go with my RG3 top clamp. I wanted the most rigid set-up I could get to keep anything from getting damaged when I drop it. I hate riding home without a clutch or front brake, not to mention that broken levers get expensive.

I haven't gotten mine mounted yet so I'm still in the process of doing this myself. Yes, they will most likely need to be bent to fit, as will most any handguard. With all the different types and bends of handlebars on the market, not to mention folks cutting the bars down, no set of guards will fit everything right out of the package. The directions tell you this upfront. They also say that you might have to drill another hole in the guard end to make it work.

I'll report back once I get them installed, which will hopefully be very soon so I can go riding. ;)

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I put them on today. With the rubber bar ends, RG3 clamp, and 996-bend TwinWalls, it was child's play. I put electrical tape around the end of the rubber end and nut so the nut can't fall off in the bar when I unscrew them. Best of all no bending at all was required. Everything lined up perfectly, right out of the box. Now, I may bend the curved end of the handguard a bit so it comes straight out from the handlebar, but I'm going to wait and see how it lines up once the grips are installed.

Top Bottom