TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
first off my bike is a 96 yz125 w/ stock clamps, protapers, and it looks like a universal mounting kit. There are two pieces that act as spacers that sit in the bar mounts and bolt to the triple clamp, and on top are oversized holes to fit the protapers that have the top piece that holds the bars in place... (sorry im not very good at explaining stuff... :( )

Ok, well I managed to crash in the whoops yesterday and send my bike cartwheeling on down into the corner, in the process it managed to strip the bolts that run through the adapter down into my triple clamp clean out (strangely didnt even put a scratch on the plastics). And it looks like the previous owner had the same problem. He drilled it out and put (oh no... cant think of the name) some sort of thread stuff in the aluminum and used bigger bolts.

Anyways... is it possible to fill the holes with weld and redrill and tap them, or should I buy a new triple clamp? I have two problems one being im in high school and work part time, (no money) and my other problem is my bars are a super low bend (yz lows?) and im really tall. However they are perfectly posistioned thanks to the lift the adapters add, so is it possible to get a triple clamp that will mimic the height of my stock w/ adapters?

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
GET NEW CLAMPS! at least the top one. I would not risk filling then re-drilling, a clamp failure could be devestating. Try Emig Racing at 1.866.438.3644. On my YZ I went with a tall mount and moved forward and loved it but you can get them tall short, forward... rubber mounted, solid... just give them a call, Paige will tell you all about your options.

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Ok thanks. I am going to order a new top clamp here soon, not sure what kind yet, ill give emig racing a look... i want a quality clamp as i dont wanna spend more money on another clamp. What will replacing the bottom clamp do? Is there a noticable difference? Thanks

B

biglou

The nice thing about most all aftermarket clamps (that I know of, anyway) is that the bar mounts are a seperate piece. You can buy the mounts you need for the rise you want and the type of bars you have. This also lets you change your bars between oversize and regular (?) without having to change your top clamp. As for the bottom clamp, I'm not sure about noticeable diff, but they sure do look pretty! I'm willing to bet the CNC'd billet stuff is measureably stronger than the cast, OEM clamps. I'm with Thump, too. Call Emig. They're right here in Blue Springs (Kansas City) Missouri. They should be able to hook you up. Check out their website, too. They've got some beautiful stuff on there. :thumb: Also, I've got a picture somewhere in my gallery of my Emig top clamp. All the pics of my 426 have it, but there is one close up if you want to look around at the pics.

Top Bottom