troglodyte

May 17, 2003
I'd like to make my XR 400 street legal....cheaply. Can someone be so kind as to tell me how or point me in the right direction?

Second, my son's XR 250 was purchased without a spark arrestor and whatever the tailpipe cap thing is. The local Honda shop wants $$ for the parts. For thier price I'll put on an aftermarket exhaust. Does anyone where I can pick up a used one...again cheaply? Maybe you scrapped yours. I'll consider buying it if the price is right.

Trog

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Street legal is a "vauge" statement. Where you live makes a big difference as local laws vary. Here in Colorado, all you need is a Brake light, Horn (even a bicycle horn) headlight (stock is fine) and DOT tires.

That said your first stop is probably BAJA Designs they specialize in Dual sporting

Also look at the "Vortip" exhaust (again at Baja Des) they are leagal sparkys, will add a little power and are under $100

troglodyte

May 17, 2003
Thanks for the info. I live in Texas and I think I remember you just have to have a horn, head/tail, mirror, and the mandatory dot tires, muffler, etc. I've looked at the Baja kit but it's more expensive than I would like to pay. Has anyone tried a J-Gear kit (www.j-gear.net)? Looks pretty simple, about half the price of a Baja. I'm not looking to make my 400 a daily commuter, just think it would be nice for quick errands or if riding in the mountains and have to use the public roads to get from one trail to the next.

I'll check on the spark arrestor, that's my biggest concern at the moment.

Thanks,
Trog

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Xrs Only might also might have an insert for your 250 exhaust.Plus a lot of riders take out that baffle on the exhaust so you might persue just that purchase on this sight or another 4 stroke sight dedicated to XRs

Top Bottom