Uh Oh! Where the heck does this go? 91 Bandit 400

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
Hi!

We had torn down my 91 bandit 400, because she wouldn't start for me. After taking the carbs off and cleaning, and replacing the choke cable (fabricated one from scratch for lack of availability and outrageous cost of it here.) , we were putting her back together, and came across a hose neither of us remembers removing.

Now this hose comes from the Coolant resevoir, then "T"s off into two hoses. One of these hoses is "stretched" on the end, like it's been on a fitting of some sort in the past,... we -think- this might belong to the "fuel tank water drain plug" on the bottom of the fuel tank. It's a nice snug fit too when we try to fit it there.

The other end, looks unflared, as though it might never have been attached to anything, or loose fit. The general consensus is that it is a "drain hose" for the water drain plug,.. but I have concerns about the "T" in the line allowing some of the water from the tank being able to get into the coolant this way and dilute the coolant,... so I'm concerned enough about this to have not started the bike yet.

I have photographs of the whole mess, I have posted to my website here: http://www.stormi.ca/personal/gallery/ditaoops The images can be enlarged by clicking on them.

We're both brand new to streetbikes, but are mechanically inclined and have dirtbikes as well. We have gone through the service manual to see if we could find the location of these hoses, but the manual only shows one lead off the coolant resevoir, and it's not labelled in the manual as to what it is.

If anyone has any input, it would be very appreciated.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
not sure what the "fuel tank water drain plug is" - please elaborate.

Are you working with a manual or not? I have seen some manuals that have hose routing guides - they are sometimes helpful sometimes not. So its a line coming out of the overflow tank for the coolant correct? is the other end attached to the radiator already? In my experience you need a line INTO the overflow tank and a vent Line there as well otherwise the reservoir would build up too much pressure.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Stormi, I just forwarded this to a friend who also has a Bandit 400. Hopefully he will see your problem and lend a hand. Good luck.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I have a Suzuki TL1000S. It has an overflow line that comes from the top of the coolant resivor then T's into the fuel tank overflow line and is routed to the lower right hand side of the bike for drainage. This is how the bike comes from the factory and I have never heard of water or fuel getting into the coolant overflow jug. If you are worried about this, just make sure that the T is lower than the overflow jug and you will be fine.

good luck

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Here's what Joe had to say:

"On my Bone Stock Bandit 400 the hose section is routed as such:

*From the Cap to "T"

*One side exits as an overflow drain to the right side of engine

*The other hose runs under the carbs and somewhere under the tank....I didn't take the tank off 'cause it's a "procedure"

Hope this gets you into the ballpark."

I hope this helps. Derek

Top Bottom