Ryan_KDX_

Sep 12, 2002
I recently bought an uni filter for my bike, but have yet to install it (Its one of the two stage filters, if it makes a difference). I'm kind of confused about how to oil it up. The little booklet it came with says to completely submege both filters and wring out the excess. Thats seems like overkill to me. The booklet says its required for the filter to function properly, Is the true or should I just take care of this filter like I did my No Toil (soak in gas, flush with water, let dry, apply oil up and install) or is there a certain technique to it.

Thanks

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
get the uni filter oil in the spray can and spray it down both pieces grease the lip never wring it just squeeze out the excess. also dont use gas use kerosene. btw why did you use gas with the no toil?????

Ryan_KDX_

Sep 12, 2002
I use gas to clean my filters. I know its supposed to be bad (as it eats at the glue) but Ive done it many times and never had any problems with my filter falling apart on me.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
no offense, but i would use the kerosene. i used gas for a number of years and after awhile i did have problems with my filter, eventually it got so bad that i ahd to buy a new filter and the gas also makes the filter foam hard which reduces its efficientcy. i have been using kerosene on the same filter for 3 years with absolutlly no problems. I would really recomend swiching over to it.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I think what uni was trying to say is that by dunking it you get oil on every part of the foam so when you wring it out to get rid of the excess your filter is doing the best job it can. Too many times I have seen guys spray on some filter oil and rub the filter a slight amount. The filter does not get enough oil since the oil is only sitting on the surface of the filter and not all the way through the filter. If the oil is only on the surface you might as well oil a panty hose and use that alone on your filter cage. I oil my filter with belray and then let it sit a day in a ziplock hung with corner down to get what I could not get out of the filter. About two tablespoons worth collects in the bottom of the bag after a day. I need stronger fingers to wring it out I guess.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I use NOTOIL and my kitchen vacuum sealer. It squeezes out all the excess and cleans up easily. Wringing out with a twisting motion can cause tears in the filter you don't see but your engine will. An old rolling pin will also squeeze out a filter pretty well. I'd like to build one of those wringers grandma used to use on the washing machine but in miniature for filter squeezing.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I've got one! It clamps down to a table top. I tried it out and it works great. Now if my wife ever catches me using it for that....
Good thing NOTOIL cleans up with it's own soap and water, she'll never be the wiser.
I just have to remember to use the roller attachments and not the noodle cutting attachments.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
I clean my filter after each ride or race, and I do dunk the whole filter in oil, and squeeze, not wring the extra out...........Been racing for 8 years and never had a problem from dirt getting into any enginen.

Top Bottom