WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
As many of you know, I destroyed my knee at the Pinecone (minute 28 mile 36) this year. The MRI showed a detached ACL, stretched MCL, torn menicus, and bruised tibial plateau. These last few week I have been walking crutch free while wearing a CTI2 knee brace. I have had the knee give out several times in two different directions. I am able to walk up stairs normally, but can only do one step at a time going down.

Today I went in for a video scope. The procedure was to take about an hour, but ended up taking 30 minutes longer. The doc wanted to look at the ACL and the menicus and trim the menicus if needed. Well when he started probing at the ACL it began bleeding and was just flopping around. It was completely removed. He said in its present shape it was causing me most of my pain. The menicus had a boot strap tear and was trimmed. I am home now with drugs for pain and am able to put weight on the leg using my crutches again.

I guess when you have a competitive bike everyone wants to ride it. I think I lost it to my son and daughter. MY GOAL is to start riding MY BIKE again when I can walk down stairs two steps at a time. Until then someone else will be riding it.

Thanks everone for your concerns and prayers.

If anyone has had an ACL reconstructed using donor tissue or the patella tendon, I would like to talk to you. I will be at Wolverine both Saturday and Sunday. Please look me up as I have several questions.

Lou Ann

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Tore my ACL, MCL and meninscus last year doing Jackpine setup. Cadaver ACL replacement 8-10-07. Went better than expected. Not 100% but pretty close. Should be at Wolverine Enduro on Sunday. Happy to give you my thoughts.
This woods riding is hard on the knees, that unexpected loss of the front end has claimed many. Good friend and riding buddy got his MRI results today, ACL and meniscus damage. You woods riders get some knee braces and wear them, they only drive you nuts for an hour or so. They won't save you all the time but often enough. :nod:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Dang Lou Ann, when you break something you do it all the way don't you! I hope that all heals up nice and strong for you!!

Torn medial Meniscus is what I had and still fight..even after surgery almost 4yrs ago...grrrr.. The doc took almost all of it out, mine had no blood supply and I guess died or something. He also took out a lot of cartilage, because that was frayed and catching. What sucks is this was a hit and run on my street bike. I never found the idiot that sideswiped me :yell:

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
MXGirl230 said:
Torn Meniscus is what I had and still fight..even after surgery almost 4yrs ago...grrrr..

Me too, had it fixed last January but I have to work the knee hard to keep it strong and it still isn't 100%. But I'm 52 so I don't heal very well. I do try to ride smarter and not fall even if it means not winning my class, because I'd rather ride than not. :nod:

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Dr Mark Sanders over on ktmtalk injuries section has a very strong opinion that patella graft is the way to go and he believes that cadaver doner tendons are too weak.

The only disadvantage that I know of to using the opposite knee's patella tendon is that that knee needs to go to the gym with its brother knee too. The weakness is only temporary and will resolve with an exercise program, but you don't have to worry that the dead person's graft will disintergrate like on the two riders I did today.

drmark
CRF 250 #57
www.sandersclinic.net
Houston, Texas

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
TCTrailrider said:
You woods riders get some knee braces and wear them, they only drive you nuts for an hour or so. They won't save you all the time but often enough. :nod:

I am hoping to wear my CTI2 brace while riding. Just not sure how it will fit inside the boot. It is quite thick, so not sure if the buckles are long enough. Duck Tape the boot!!

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
TCTrailrider and Fred T
When you say your knee is not 100%. Are you refering to it giving out on you, soreness or muscle weakness? I plan to get as much PT as my insurance will pay for to build muscle strength.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
WomanRider said:
TCTrailrider and Fred T
When you say your knee is not 100%. Are you refering to it giving out on you, soreness or muscle weakness? I plan to get as much PT as my insurance will pay for to build muscle strength.
Not as strong as the good knee. Thats my fault for not working enough on conditioning. Most of the time I can't tell what knee was injured. On a good ride around the 30 mile mark it gets a little sore but very manageable.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
WomanRider said:
TCTrailrider and Fred T

In a way it gives out but more like an annoyance - not where it was before when it would just almost put you down-more like a surprise and a small jolt of pain. It needs to be strengthend to keep it tight and that don't happen over night -I've been working on mine all spring and summer and it's is getting better slowly but I expect for me it will take a year of twice a week PT to get it. I go to the PT clinic on my own tuesdays and Thursday and work it on thier machines.

I don't have any swelling any more but it gets stiff and sore after a big weekend such as this weeekend where i will ride on it for 3 days.

I rode last summer on the bad knee and I don't recommend that long term. Fix it before you get old and have problems the rest of your life -JMHO.

bterp67

Apr 5, 2007
I tore my ACL on downhill skis. I tried to do without surgery and just use my DonJoy knee brace, but it would still give out under a sideways action like roller blading. I had the surgery done with a Petela Ligament from the same knee. It worked great for a couple of years, but i then tore it again jet skiing on the ocean. I am not too impressed seeing the surgeon said it would be stonger than before. I think not. I wear my knee brace when I ride, and if I dab my leg too hard on a wash out, my knee will still pop out of place, and put me out of riding for a few weeks. I'm sure i have caused more damage just letting it pop out and dealing with it. My plan is to get it fixed again maybe this fall. It took me 6 months to walk normal and not get discomfort during activities, and I worked very hard during physical therapy to make sure I was 100%.
Anyway, get your knee fixed and do as the doctor tells you, because you will not like the result of no ACL in your knee.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
bterp67 said:
Anyway, get your knee fixed and do as the doctor tells you, because you will not like the result of no ACL in your knee.

How true. The MCL and LCL will heal on there own. The ACL and Meniscus won't. If you lead an inactive life, desk job and watch alot of TV you can do fine without an ACL. But if you want to have any fun you need it. Putting off surgery only makes the damage worse.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
bterp67 said:
I am not too impressed seeing the surgeon said it would be stonger than before. I think not.
I hate when they say stuff like that. How can a repaired joint be stronger than an original uninjured joint. :coocoo:
But I do believe a good DR and PT can get damaged joints back to like new these days.

bterp67 said:
I 2nd that. I waited way too long to fix a bum shoulder and quickly realized I was an idiot for not getting it fixed years earlier. Oh well live and learn.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
WomanRider said:
As many of you know, I destroyed my knee at the Pinecone (minute 28 mile 36) this year. The MRI showed a detached ACL, stretched MCL, torn menicus, and bruised tibial plateau.
Thanks everone for your concerns and prayers.

If anyone has had an ACL reconstructed using donor tissue or the patella tendon, I would like to talk to you. I will be at Wolverine both Saturday and Sunday. Please look me up as I have several questions.

Lou Ann

I hope I'm not to late, Goto KTMtalk and goto rides down but not out and leave a post for DRMark. He's one Dr that will give you the straight poop on your Knee and what treatment is correct for you. Best of luck and I will say a prayer for you.

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
I did not notice i was under my son's user name. I guess that is what I get for using his computer, as I did not want to decend stairs with crutches to get to mine.
Womanrider

I have asked Dr. Mark questions on TT. I know what he recommends for active people. He would suggest opposite leg patella tendon. Which I think is not what most drs would recommend. I would like to talk to to other riders and get their opinion on their procedure, before I discuss any options with my DR.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will eventually get the ACL reconstructed. I am thinking of doing it this winter over Christmas break, so I do not miss much work. 7th graders do not function well without their teacher.

Lou Ann

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
TJC510 said:
I am thinking of doing it this winter over Christmas break, so I do not miss much work. 7th graders do not function well without their teacher.

Lou Ann

Dont know nuttin bout kanee injuries Lou Ann BUT 7th graders going without a teacher I do know about!! I subbed at the local Middle School here anddddddd ey yi yi,,, PLEASE,,, for everyones sanity,,, time that surgery so your kids dont suffer!!! :whoa:
Praying for you and the decisions before you!!
Woodsy

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
woodsy said:
Dont know nuttin bout kanee injuries Lou Ann BUT 7th graders going without a teacher I do know about!! I subbed at the local Middle School here anddddddd ey yi yi,,, PLEASE,,, for everyones sanity,,, time that surgery so your kids dont suffer!!! :whoa:
Praying for you and the decisions before you!!
Woodsy

LOL

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
MuddyBuddy said:
Hey WR, glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. There's always next year!!

Stacy
I will be up in your area this weekend at the Wolverine Enduro. Come on over and visit. It would be great to see you again. Megan will be riding Saturday, you can cheer her on.

CerkMX

Oct 8, 2006
Got my ACL, Meniscus and Tib/Fib Plateau fracture in June. 1" Band plate and around 7 screws just below my knee. I'm at the 10 1/2 week mark and still on crutches, although hopefully that's only for another couple of weeks. I'm just now getting to the point where my leg is starting to feel 'normal' (keep in mind i've not yet had weight on it).

How did the rehab go for you fellas (and ladies)? I had the ACL scoped during surgery the day it happened, but I won't know for sure how it turned out till I start walking. How long before everyone was back on the bike? I know it varies a lot from person to person...just looking for some generalities.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
ACL replacement MCL repaired along with meniscus damage. 9 days after surgery I was on a bike trainer for 10 min training sessions. 2 weeks later I was strength train the knee. In 4 weeks I was snowmobiling in the UP. 4 months later I was in Marion IL. Racing an enduro.

DW

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Wolverine423 said:
ACL replacement MCL repaired along with meniscus damage. 9 days after surgery I was on a bike trainer for 10 min training sessions. 2 weeks later I was strength train the knee. In 4 weeks I was snowmobiling in the UP. 4 months later I was in Marion IL. Racing an enduro.

DW

What procedure did you have for the replacement? Patella tendon autograft(your own tissue) or allograft(donor tissue)

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
CerkMX said:
Got my ACL, Meniscus and Tib/Fib Plateau fracture in June. 1" Band plate and around 7 screws just below my knee. I'm at the 10 1/2 week mark and still on crutches, although hopefully that's only for another couple of weeks. I'm just now getting to the point where my leg is starting to feel 'normal' (keep in mind i've not yet had weight on it).

How did the rehab go for you fellas (and ladies)? I had the ACL scoped during surgery the day it happened, but I won't know for sure how it turned out till I start walking. How long before everyone was back on the bike? I know it varies a lot from person to person...just looking for some generalities.

June of last year I had a tib/fib plateau fracture. I got a plate and four screws installed. I did PT three times a week for six months. It took me four months before I started riding again. I didn't start feeling comfortable on the bike until last December.

I am still not 100%. In fact I am having my knee scoped on the 21st. I have some cartildge floating around and a possible torn meniscus.

CerkMX

Oct 8, 2006
Ward said:
June of last year I had a tib/fib plateau fracture. I got a plate and four screws installed. I did PT three times a week for six months. It took me four months before I started riding again. I didn't start feeling comfortable on the bike until last December.

I am still not 100%. In fact I am having my knee scoped on the 21st. I have some cartildge floating around and a possible torn meniscus.

Did you know about the soft tissue damage at the time? I've already had the meniscus repaired (the leg was immobilized for six weeks because of it) and like I said, attempt one was done during the surgery on my ACL as well...in addition to the gnarly scar down my knee/shin, i have the scope mark on the side that got a surficial nerve, skin feels weird over there :)

I was originally going to do PT 3 times a week but we've got a 20 visit max/year...which means i'm once a week for now, going to twice once i get weight bearing.

Did you have any issues with running, etc relating to the plate?

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
CerkMX said:
Did you know about the soft tissue damage at the time? I've already had the meniscus repaired (the leg was immobilized for six weeks because of it) and like I said, attempt one was done during the surgery on my ACL as well...in addition to the gnarly scar down my knee/shin, i have the scope mark on the side that got a surficial nerve, skin feels weird over there :)

I was originally going to do PT 3 times a week but we've got a 20 visit max/year...which means i'm once a week for now, going to twice once i get weight bearing.

Did you have any issues with running, etc relating to the plate?

Doc did say there was a crack in the cartilidge (sic) but now I got some stuff floating around in there. Running has been difficult. I started playing soccer last January thru June. When I started my leg felt stiff and heavy. I had to use a lot of ice. It was better riding the bicycle.

CerkMX

Oct 8, 2006
Ward said:
Doc did say there was a crack in the cartilidge (sic) but now I got some stuff floating around in there. Running has been difficult. I started playing soccer last January thru June. When I started my leg felt stiff and heavy. I had to use a lot of ice. It was better riding the bicycle.

Sweetness, I figured I would have to go to a bicycle in lieu of running distance. Soccer, eh? I was hoping to continue playing baseball after the injury, it's encouraging to hear you were able to get back into sports so quickly. It seems like I've kind of reached a barrier in my progress with flexion...PT says once I bear weight on the leg again things will move much more rapidly, as blood flow and normal circulation will return helping the leg to heal up.

How did the leg like being back on the bike? I run track days on road bikes in addition to trail riding/MX...obviously flex will be an issue on the asphalt and I'm thinking I'm probably on the shelf till next spring as far as that goes.

Top Bottom