Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by tx246
you are the reason i crashed at vc.............i just knew you were behind me :)
Yes that was me back there, WAY BACK THERE! :thumb:
btw, I did better the week you guys came out. The week before when I raced there I found myself ten feet after the gate looking for my bike. I still can't believe the guy all the way on the other side of the starting house managed to come all the way over and take me out in that short of distance. :flame:

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by motometal
o-ring chain (I always send the old non-oring one to Jaybird...he likes 'em)
LOL!!! :) :) :)

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by TRexRacing
I dunno about every year but I think I waited to long to retire my '80 YZ465.Still a great bike but my '03 CRF450R actually made me faster.I GOT BRAKES NOW!!!!!
LOL, I know what you mean! ;) Those drum brakes are history after a couple mudholes! :scream: It's kinda odd that how fast you can stop determines how fast you can go.
Hucker, '96 CR250 is a nice ride. You won't regret it! :thumb:

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
I find the responses to this to be a little bit surprising and very interesting.

Going faster isn't the "only" thing. Comfort, reliablity, braking, saftey, etc. etc. are all very important.

Even if there were ZERO improvments to bikes in the last 5-10 years a new bike would be "better" because as others have mentioned they are brand new and not worn. Everything works like it is supposed to. Everything has grease. All the gaskets seal. All the rubber is new and not cracked.

Now add to the mix the upgrades in suspension, brakes, carbs, powervalves, ergos, etc. and you have a much better bike.

While many of these upgrades over the years won't always shave time off of your laps they will make you bike kick over easier, jet more smoothly, foul less, have a wider powerband, and make the bike easier and more fun to ride.

So there are many reasons to go to a new, or newer that will probably be faster and a whole lot more.

.02$

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I try to go for a new one whenever the 'old' bike starts to feel ratty and starts to nickel and dime me to death. I figure if I'm going to be spending big bucks on repairs for a 2 year old bike I'll may as well just take that money and put it towards a new one instead.
Usually my timing doesn't work so well, the 'old' bike becomes a big money pit, and I spend way too much to get it like new again. After that I start to resent the bike and try to get rid of it, even though there's nothing wrong with it anymore.
This is why I decided to try switching brands.. If a bike can go 4 years instead of 2, before it starts to crumble, then it's money well spent.

Top Bottom