Upper Triple Clamp for Tall Guys??

ek415

Jan 22, 2002
Anyone have a recommendation for an upper triple clamp that will move the bars farther forward than the stock clamp allows?? I'm 6'2" and feeling a bit cramped. Have CR high bend bars and already turned the stock bar clamp around to get the max out of it. Thanks for any advice.

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
I made my own clamps to rise the bar height and move them forward.
I have some pics if you want to have a look.
I to am 6'3" and found the same problem.

BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
I am 6" 7",and use FMF Team Tall bars,it works for me.One thing you can do,buy an extra set of upper bar clamps.Put one set upside down on the top triple clamp,then your bars and the other set of clamps.It gives you about 3/4" extra height.I've done this on my trials bikes and my DR350 and it works great.Just make sure that you don't stretch your cables too much.

ek415

Jan 22, 2002
Dazza, do you have any specs for your clamps that you could pass along? Your setup looks pretty trick. Do you still run the stock rubber mounts? Thanks for your reply.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Do you still run the stock rubber mounts?

Dazza's KDX runs a solid upper triple clamp so no rubber mounts to worry about. I'd be concerned using this system with rubber mounts because of the extra leverage. If you were to experiment with a system like this on your 95+ KDX I'd suggest replacing the rubber bushings with aluminum cones to help limit the movement a little.

You can replace the stock bar mounts with a set intended for an aftermarket upper triple clamp to move the bars up further but its not going to push them forward much when compared to the stock set up. I used a set of Applied clamps to mount my ProTapers and move them up 1cm.

I've seen a set of home built bar clamps for a 95+ KDX that was used to move the bars forward and up. It looked much like Dazza's set up but they were mounted using a longer bolt through one of the bar clamps. Basically the lower clamp was elongated about an inch over the stock set up so there was still good contact over the rubber cones. The bar clamp was tightened to the proper torque then the remaining length of bolt was inserted through the rubber mounts and tightened down using the stock nut and washer. Was it safe I don't know but the guy really liked it.

You might consider giving someone like Emig Racing a call. I bet they could build you a custom upper triple clamp that would move the bar clamp's mounting hole further forward. This combined with a tall bar clamp with an offset hole should be able to give you the added room you’re looking for plus confidence the system was safe.

David

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
I have seen bar risers that move the bars up and forward listed in the Bajadesigns catalog (not on thier website though). They were listed for the KLX, so I'm not sure if that works for KDX as well.

ek415

Jan 22, 2002
Thanks for the info guys, I think the baja designs bar riser kit for the KLX will work. The KLX and KDX share the same upper bar clamp, but the lower clamp on the KLX is part of the triple clamp. It shouldn't matter though since the bolt holes are the same. Obviously, I would need to go to the aluminum cones to eliminate the rubber mounts on the KDX.

Top Bottom