UPSMAN

Dec 2, 1999
Went and looked at a kdx this morning, it looked fairly solid but had a few issues, such as leaking fork seals, badly worn graphics, some movement in the front wheel bearings and just general neglect. Its a 95 and the guy wants $1800 for it , is this a fair price? How big of a deal is it to put bearings in the front and rear on this bike?

Thanks Greg

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
KDX Wheel bearings are straight forward, you might (most likely will) need linkage and swingarm bearings also. The front forks generally need stiffer springs while you've got it apart and rebuilding the rear shock wouldn't be a bad idea.

now how much does it cost?

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I think that is a bit high. You are loking at $250 ish in new bearings (I am guessing front, rear and swing arm) and new seals and such.

I would think $1400 is about right. As long as nothing else major is wrong - you can get her running nice for verty little cash.

sn

UPSMAN

Dec 2, 1999
thanks for the input guys, i was thinking that the price was a little high myself, the guy was asking $1800 and acted like coming down $100 was killing him so i dont know if $ 1400 would fly. we will see thanks greg

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
In all honesty - watch Ebay. During the winter there were some GREAT deals on some really nice KDXs.

It is worth driving a few hours to get a good bike at a good price.

Now that spring has sprung - the prices go up 20%ish.

sn

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
It might be worth $1800 but the key word I keep picking out is "general neglect". A properly maintained new style (97-04) would be ok for $1800,... but a neglected "H" series... no... keep looking.

UPSMAN

Dec 2, 1999
Smit-Dog there is a weird story about that, i have been on this board off and on for about 5 years, i was not on the board for a long time and when i started lurking again i noticed that there was someone else using the same username and they were from Michigan no less. I dont know who it is an no i dont know napper or the other guy you mentioned. I think we actually met at the Mongolian Barbecue a long time ago at a Michigan type meeting.

Later Greg

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I bought a '95 KDX200H1 last summer for $2000. The guy would'nt budge off his asking price. It was in very well cared for condition (excellent) and had a -30 FMF pipe and TC-1 silencer as well as renthal bars with bark busters. The forks had been revalved but the left seal was slightly leaking. It had a recent top end with a wiseco piston...had a RAD valve too. All bearings were good and has since passed my leak down test with flying colors. I've gone ahead and put a bunch more $$ into it since then. It has been a booger in the jetting department though. I think I did OK.

kdxman15

Aug 21, 2003
i brought my H1 kdx for 3200 witch is around 1600 your $ and it had new top end fork seals bearings were fine and greased regulary.but the front were shot. has all stock parts.pc pipe firm clutch springs kx guards and plate.new tyres.answer bars.1800 is to much in my opinion.

K220

Jul 7, 2003
Be patient,,,keep shopping.....

Last spring when I finally decided as to exactly what bike I wanted, I started watching the papers,,on-line and calling around. As luck would have it, I called a dealer (aprox 200 miles from me) to price shop a new KDX220. As we were negoiating the price over the phone, I guy came into the store to trade in a 220 for a much larger bike (KTM). Ending result, I bought a 2002 KDX220 with 51 actual miles in blemish-free condition for $2600.00 out the dealer door. When I mean blemish-free,,no evidence of dirt stains under the fenders and underside of engine. Not bad for a year old Bike that for the most part was never ridden.

A friend of mine got the fever a few weeks ago. I went to Cycle-trader and located him a 2000 KDX220, equipped with skid plates, bark busters, FMF pipe & muffler, NEW Michelin S12 tires frt & rear, 49 tooth rear sprocket, extra sprocket & chain, Renthal bars, Aft foot pegs & FRP kickstart lever to name a few noteable items. The plastic does have some "battle scars", but the bike runs out great. He paid $2200.00. He did have to drive 240 miles to pick it up, but well worth it. All that steelhorse needed was a new master and some fuel.

Jest of it, be patient, look around....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom