seabee

Jun 22, 2003
Checkout www.dodgetrucks.org for a pretty good dodge forum.

I just traded my 2000 Chevy 2500 4x4 with a 5.7 for a 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 with a 5 speed CTD. I'll tell you, when you go diesel, you'll never go back.

I tow a 8000lb boat, my chevy would pull it ok, but puke on any kind of hill, now I have no worries. Everytime I hauled a hill with my gasser, I'd feel the mileage ticking off the engine, The average lifespan on a CTD is 300k, try getting that out of a gasser that tows regularly.

TooBadBrad

Jan 31, 2003
It's ready for the first service, no problems except for a rattle in the right rear door. 17 to 18 mpg around town, 13.5 pulling my 25ft travel trailer on a mix of freeway and hilly twisty roads. Amazing pulling power, holds a steady speed on any hill I've come upon so far. The 5 spd auto is excelent. It shifts right at the engines torque peak, and the tow haul mode really helps on long down hills. This feature is a little harsh at low speed though, so I turn it off if I'm going under 30mph and downshift manualy.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Oil change cost about $50

1995 Dodge 4x4 w/ 5.9 liter. Could barely move the trailer up hills and was constantly downshifting

What was in that trailer :eek: ? I've pulled some pretty good loads with a 93', 96', and 00' Dodge that I'm sure was heavier then an 18 foor enclosed trailer. One being a New Holland 1116 Swather(Which was heavy enough to bend/break the hitch on a 93 Dodge).
Now I'm not saying my Dodge is better then your ford, but comparing a 95 Dodge with an 01 Powerstroke is a bit different. But I don't think the difference is as drastic as implied.
I've also gone about 400,000 miles between the 3 and have only lost a cam sensor so far, so the Dodge has treated me pretty good, but for you oval fans my next truck will be a Crew Cab Ford F-350 4x4. I just need more room in the cab and the Dodge didn't bring it :| .

Last edited:

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
I'm glad your 6.0 is doing good, mine is going back to the dealer Monday again. Got a F350 4x4 auto w/ the 6.0, unfortunately I didn't do enough research and didn't have a computer when I went to get it :( Mine has a born on date around Nov. 02, before most prob's were fixed.At first had very rough hot idle prob's, trans shifting in and out of tow gear and dead pedal once in a while. Got reprogrammed engine and trans computer, better but still have rough idle (not as bad) dead pedal sometimes and the mileage SUCKS! 13 mpg, city/long distance driving.
When driving it runs sweet though , fast and lots of power, hopefully the newer reprogram will correct this stuff, cause besides the problems I love it.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
When will Ford and Dodge understand that some of us also take our kids along when we tow the bike trailer. So, in addition to towing capacity we want safety - only Chevy has rear seat head rests in their dully crew cab trucks. I think Ford has in their King Cab version - but at these truck prices, I want to use all the seats (king cab = double captain chairs)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
KXTodd - sorry to hear about all of your 6.0L problems! We just ordered a 2004 6.0 5-speed auto last weekend. I hope they get all the first year bugs out of the 6.0... that sucks when you have a new truck that needs frequent trips to the dealer. :(

Anyone interested in a 2000 F250 7.3 diesel? If so - click in my sig :)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
SFO - check out www.dieseltruckresource.com - it was started by some guys from TDR (I think) and it's free.

I'll second the opinion that a Dodge 5.9 V8 is a dog - drove one for a year and couldn't wait to get rid of it. It was a 3/4 ton 4wd short bed w/auto & 4.10s and struggled to climb the Grapevine while towing a 6x12 U-Hual trailer.....

Brian

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
NVR FNSH, I'm assuming Mark was talking about the 5.9 Dodge Deisel, not the 5.9(360CI)gaser.
If it's a gas 5.9, then I would agree. But that's comparing apples to oranges ;)

TooBadBrad

Jan 31, 2003
Kx Todd, sorry to here your having so many problems. I was told to ask if the dealer has a tech that's been to the 6.0 training before you let them work on your truck. Mine has a 6-03 build date but I was just informed there is a software update out for it to further smooth the idle and soften the downshifts in T/H mode.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Got it back yesterday and seems the reprogram fixed the idle prob. so far.....heard about the bulletin for an oil change and go that too! we'll see on the mileage, headed to NY this weekend for Broome :aj:

Top Bottom