john3_16

May 17, 2004
Rode a Varner modified 04' CR250 today...Varner modifies the 03' cylinder to go on the the 04'..Not sure why but for some reason he claims the 03' cylinder is a bit better..

The dirt I rode on was sandy loam...I'm trying to think of the right words to describe this motor but let me first just say that I can't see why anyone would need anything stronger unless you're capable qualifying for an outdoor national.

Thie bike sounds different after you start it up....I mean, when you hear this thing go by it sounds like an angry animal..I mean, this bike roars....The 2nd and 3rd gear gap is seems to be gone...2nd gear feels a little taller...Maybe it's just because the motor is putting out more juice and has so much more overrev....You can rev it out or short shift and the motor will pull the gear.... Slow 3rd gear roll ons can be easily handled without the clutch but if you're an agressive type you can tap the clutch (I don't recommend it on this bike unless you have your front wheel pointed down the next straight) and roar down the straight...Even when you're straightened up if your body positioning isn't completely accurate the rear wheel seems like it wants to pass the front...Very long pulling power that has some real meat to it...Stronger clutch springs are a must in the modified version.
Strong, seamless power from bottom to top...Why couldn't Honda do this in the first place ? Maybe reliability suffers a bit with aggressive porting.

My buddy has a set of works Showa's front and rear suspension coming that he's going to bolt on and I should have another ride report with the works suspension and new motor....It's going to be fun :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom