efi

Jul 23, 2000
It's now about 90-100 degrees. If I had any sense I would stop riding for the next 3 months until it will cool down a bit. Of course I have never succeeded in taking any break from riding. The heat itself doesn't bother me, it's that in the last years I get myself into situations where my body can't get rid of excess heat which gets my pulse way too high for the amount of energy I'm spending and worse of all my concentration and riding ability declines !
Do any of you have these heat symptoms ? Is there any way to decrease the way the heat impacts ?
This happens usually only in tight and technical riding (less wind and more physical exertion) but I'm quit sure that years ago I didn't have this problem (36 years old).

Last edited:

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
90-100 degrees? Thats a cool spring day out here. Other than being climatized to the area there are a few things you can do.
1 drink water all the time. At least a gallon a day. I do and I ride in the 115 degree sun. Some of my buddies are partial to soda and they complain of headaches and dizziness.
2 Ride early in the morning. Dawn has that fresh cool air and lessened sun.
3 Take lots of breaks. In the noon sun we only ride out here for 30min at a time then we let the bikes cool;) .
4. If the gear you are wearing is heavyweight get some new stuff. I searched the bike shops for the lightest thinnest jersey that I could find and I don't regret it one bit.

Hope any of this helps and stay cool:cool:

Btw whats the riding like in Israel? Can't say I even know what kind of terrain is out there.

Last edited:

BullDog KX125

Mar 9, 2001
DONT LEAVE YOUR HELMET ON WHILE NOT MOVING
i have a habbit of just stopping for a min to take a sip of water, or to scout a tight riding area, and leaving my helmet on.

all the heat radiating off my body, and from under my shirt, and me breathing hot air right into my helmet, makes for very hot breathing air.

and personally, i say fewer breaks.
just take quick water breaks and be moving as soon as possible
that wind is what lets me stay out all day, the minute i stop moving, i like overheat.

efi

Jul 23, 2000
Thanks guys for your suggestions.
Actually, 115 in the desert are cooler then 100 with 65% humidity !
The desert here in Israel is similar to what you have in Arizona. When I desert ride I don’t have any problem with the heat as the speed is higher and the climate is dryer.
I was referring to suggestions as to what can be done physically to your body before the riding in order to help the body get rid of the excess heat.
By the way I'm in good shape.

Thanks

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom