Vibration, please dispel my fears!

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
G'day all.

My '99 KDX200 was treated to new bearings throughout the engine not so long ago - transmission in/out shafts, big end, little end, etc, etc. Basically all of them apart from three: the KIPS governor and water impeller ones housed in the clutch cover and the little one between the clutch basket and the clutch actuator.

What a lucky KDX I hear you say.

Well here is where my worry begins... The other day I noticed (through the seat, hand grips and footpegs) a vibration that I deduced was coming from the "engine bit" of the bike. It kind of just appeared while I was riding. I've felt the feeling of a shot big end on this bike before and it was nothing as bad as that, but there nonetheless and worsening.

I pulled the clutch cover off tonight and noticed that the three 'old' bearings I mentioned above were rat ****. They are now on order from my local dealer, Kawasaki that is.

I'm HOPING that when I stick it all together it'll be nice and smooth as ever. I've got no reason to suspect a worn top/bottom end and I use good quality oil in the tranny and change it regularly. But I was hoping someone here could help me sleep tonight by saying that they too have felt quite a noticeable vibration from these tiny little bearings when they were worn? They seem too small to make such a vibration!

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
:bang: of course! That will be on the reassembly to-do list for sure. Actually, I had the cylinder off a while ago, maybe I didn't torque 'em up proper :think:

Thanks mate. I shoulda picked it myself!

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Cheers Trev. I don't care how little/big it is, just as long as it's cheap to fix ;) She'll be right.

Mate the motoGP was awesome, and that's only the bits I remember! Those Kawasaki GP bikes make such a hi-tech shrill screaming sound down the straight at full noise - almost makes up for them all being 4-strokes now. To tell you the truth, now I'm having unfaithful thoughts about my Katie, visualising her as a financial start toward an Aprilia RS125 when I open the garage door :ugg: :yikes:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
LMAO Glad to hear you could remember parts of it, well the impotant bits anyway. Shame on you, I hope Katie can't read your mind or she might just be vibrating to pay you back for all your impure thoughts. You better go and tell her shes not going to get traded in on a new model !!! LOL. In all seriousness good luck and I hope its just a loose mount or such. Glad to hear you had a blast at the GP, even if it was a blurry blast.....

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Well I think it looks like she's due for a new top end, spew. It's back together now - I hope the engine has enough life to get me to the Kawasaki shop and back in the morning to pick up a little end kit. Guaranteed they won't have one in stock though...

Looking on the bright side, at least I have a weekend project now.

Top Bottom