snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Hey Vince.

Since you where looking into this crankbearing thing a while back, you seem to be the guy to ask.

I wonder if the SKF or FAG crankshaft bearings used on euro bikes are a special production units or just a good quality standard ones??

thanks

vince

Oct 19, 1999
snullia,

I was told by the dealer that a small plastic piece is put on that does not come with aftermarket bearings. I got a good price from Cliffs cycle for 82.00 for both stock bearings (as compared to 120.00 from other dealers). So I just went with those.
If you want I can give you the numbers that are on the bearings that came out?
Hope this helps you out

Vince

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Vince, thanks for the reply.

The bike is a old KX 250. As I removed the crankbearings I found that the bearings are not standard, 68x28x18 mm. So I probably can not find any aftermarked C3 or C4 bearings afterall. Life is hard.

RoadRunner

Oct 17, 1999
Are there any alternatives to normal crank bearings out there? It's about time for mine to be replaced and I didn't know if there were any super-slick long lasting whiz bang type upgrades I could make.

vince

Oct 19, 1999
Snullia,

I believe that you can find aftermarket bearings for your kawa. Look on the side of the bearing for a number or bring it to a bearing shop and tell them what it will be used for. Kawasaki or any other motorcycle manu. more than likely are not in the bearing business. I had a 93 kx250 prior to my KTM man did that thing rip!!!

Try Worldwide Bearing in Jersey 800-575-3220 I have used them for my brake pedal. They charged me 3-4$ ea. the dealer 12-15$ea. That's a no brainer.
You could also try Midwest action Cycle or go thru the ads in Dirt Rider Mag.

RoadRunner,

I stayed with stock mostly because I figured that if I had a problem with them I could get some type of warranty from KTM. You should't have any problems as long as you don't go to lean.

Vince

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Boss Bearing is a good source as well. The specialize in MC applications and even offer support sponsorships! I had one 2 years ago.

They had bearings for my '74 Yamaha 500 when I was told they were unavailable.

http://www.bossbearing.com/

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Thanks guys

I did find 68x28x18 bearings at the local bearing shop, but only "ordinary" ones, not C3 or C4 for crank's. However I am not in a hurry to get the Kawi going since I probably will buy myself a SHINY BRAND NEW EXC 520 before the end of the week. Nice !!!

Top Bottom