yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
In the bylaws thread it was mentioned that there could be "virtual meetings"? Has anybody come up with a way to accomplish this? I have an idea. All members be required to have an AOL Instant Messenger screen name. At a date/time, posted on DRN several days in advance, you just start up an AIM chat room. It would be an easy way to include everybody without the other problems that a public chat room would pose. Any thoughts?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Does AIM allow you to save the chat log? If so, it should be copied and pasted into the respective forum as a record of the meeting.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Ok, I know I'm replying to my own topic, but I just thought of another idea. We could also use a Yahoo Club site. Each club would be required to create a club and all of the members of the said club would just need to create a Yahoo Username. This might be easier and simpler because members wouldn't be required to download any programs (like AIM) that they might not already have.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
real time chat

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Okie, some of the members were asking about this in another thread but couldn't remember the link. Your link came up with a box and red X in the corner. Can we get a log from this?

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
But how did you? When did you? Okie, lol, you crack me up. I have saved the quick chat convo that me and Nikki had on AIM chat, but how to post it? Just copy and paste? But this would be obsolete if DRN had real time chat that we could use...

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
I could do it like this:

(10:42:33 AM) You have just entered room "MESTup113 Chat12."
(10:42:44 AM) NikkiatUIC has entered the room.
NikkiatUIC (10:42:52 AM): ?
MESTup113 (10:42:58 AM): see the idea of a virtual meeting was brought up
MESTup113 (10:43:08 AM): and i was seeing this as a potential solution
NikkiatUIC (10:44:40 AM): sure i think it would work well
MESTup113 (10:47:03 AM): yea, well i'd never used one and so i was just trying
it out, seeing if you could save it and suck
MESTup113 (10:47:05 AM): such*

Of course if I could somehow attach the actual chat file that I saved that would be better. Also, in the bylaws there would have to be some sort of rule mandating that a certain number of members save the file, or else the poster of the meeting could manipulate the chat screen to say whatever they want it to. :eek:

NikkiatUIC (10:42:52 AM): I love you Eric
MESTup113 (10:42:58 AM): but what about Red?
MESTup113 (10:43:08 AM): and the fact that I'm just a minor
MESTup113 (10:47:03 AM): yea, well i'd never thought of you like this before
MESTup113 (10:47:05 AM): gee Nikki

Obviously this is just a dramatization of what could happen and none of this went on, obviously, but I'm just saying.... :debil: :debil:

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
NikkiatUIC (10:42:52 AM): I love you Eric
MESTup113 (10:42:58 AM): but what about Red?
MESTup113 (10:43:08 AM): and the fact that I'm just a minor
MESTup113 (10:47:03 AM): yea, well i'd never thought of you like this before
MESTup113 (10:47:05 AM): gee Nikki
What in the hell is that LOL.

B

biglou

Another idea:

I also had in mind that the chapter pres.'s could post a poll that would be open for a set amount of time, allowing members to vote on issues if everyone couldn't get together at the same time.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
I was just using poor Nikki as an example of what could happen if somebody decided to edit the copy of the meeting. Don't read anything into that. :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Lou, I think what you describe would be the best format.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I like Lou's idea. We could have an open poll post and then lock it after a certian amount of time.

I have enough problems with these freaking computers to have to have anything else to deal with :confused: :confused:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
There needs to be a bit a protocol for these virtual meetings.

1. A specific time a date should be announced at least a week in advance.
  2. A moderator or administrator should be available to monitor the thread.
  3. The agenda should be the opening part of a thread and should be adhered to.
  4. Typical meeting protocol should be followed; ie: Minutes, motions, etc...
  5. A time limit should be imposed on the thread.
  6. Print off the thread and save to diskette for proof of meeting.
  7. Real names will need to be included showing screen names of participants(not necessary to be made public in the thread.
    [/list=1]
    Participants should restrain from normal jockularity and maintain some order in these threads. The moderator will be asked upon to edit unnecessary comments.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
So are we talking about doing this meeting as a chat session or as a thread with a poll as Lou proposed?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
If you do a virtual meeting in the forums, you should have a moderator available to open and close a poll. If done in a chat room, I do not see a need to have a moderator. However, all of the points listed above still apply to either method.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
To me the chat room thing would be a cute thing, but that's about it. It makes more sense to me that a thread be opened for club business as it occurs and that way each member can weigh in during his/her time frame.

I would assume that the thread would be part of the regular archives here, and we would need to back up every important post so we don't lose record when the inevitible house cleaning is done here.

Seems the chat room thing could get real comlicated and time consuming, and it wil not offer us a real feel for the majority of chapter members. Seems that everything is already in place to be able to handle things the way they are now. I see the chat room thingy as a novelty at best.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The club moderators are trying a Dry Run on the virtual meeting. Thus far, it has not worked as well as expected. I will move it to this forum in a few more days. It will be locked and is only an example(not to good of one at best). The idea will work but will need some tweaking to make it workable. Everyone's input is encouraged to make this work. Be patient and we'll get something that is doable.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I saw that justql made the suggestion that we do things in real time with all folks present. No offense, justql...but I see no way in the world that will work. With this format, it seems to me we need to do what you guys are doing by opening threads for nominations, whether it be for offices or club business. Once motions have been made and carried, then a poll for the vote can be posted. This vote poll should be placed and remain for a week to give everyone a fair chance to weigh in.
It also would be a hard thing to maintain order, proper order that is, with a virtual chat room. Another aspect would be time. In the Kentuckiana Chapter we are subject to have different time zones throughout the year.(example: CAL's time is always one hour later than mine and we change twice a year, I don't think Wheelie4strkB's time ever changes.)
Hopefully each chapter will be able to run business meetings as they see fit.

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
This is definitely going to take some practice to pull this off. I think it can happen but thus far it is not quite what I expected. I'm open to more suggestions.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Jaybird- We talked about that issue this weekend. Bswift, craig_enid, VioletSp and I discussed using IM for the meeting instead. I have came to the conclusion that no matter what form the virutal meetings might not work.:(

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I do see the problem with the polling function being used. Seems that since we don't have a controlled entry, both members and non could post a vote.
Hard to keep track of things like that.

What if we just had a post advising of a vote and how long the vote thread would be posted. Each chapter member could post and cast thier vote hardcopy, no polling involved. I would think it the job of the secretary to tally and post the result at the end of the thread. The post could be copied and kept in the club archive.

<shrug>

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom