Vonage Cable Phone

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I would like to hear more about this service, pro and cons etc. I am seriously thinking of signing up for this service ?

Alan

http://www.vonage.com

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
yeah I did, email me.....
Any hassles yet, and so far (ok its early days), are you happy with the quality and service.

I know of no-one using a cable phone service, so this is new to me - just got my long distance bill $200, my wife can't help herself, I can save about 25c a minute on international calls with Vonage ! (which should cut my bill by 50-60%)

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Doh!!! Matt! Didn't you work for Sprint?!!! Shame on you man!

I'm ripping out the landline (Telco) as soon as the 405 area code becomes available next month!!!! Can NOT wait to make that call :p "but sir, you have to have a phone and WE are the only phone company!" But ma'am... disconnect it!!! Buwhahahaha....

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I just signed up, can't wait to get going - need to get in on this refer a friend act !

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Well, they activated my account on the 18th, and shipped UPS ground - no tracking number. Okie, how long did you have to wait for delivery.

I locked out my long distance calls on Thursday, and my wife is giving me grief :eek:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Hoo-rah - phone thingy arrived tonight, just plugged it into my router and bang - a dialtone. Must say, this is the easiest installation ever for a computer gadget thingy magjig :)

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Why would your security alarm not work with it - my Vonage phone box has a 2nd phone socket, would you not just plug your security system into this. All this system needs is to dial out.

My security system is wireless, which helps a bit !

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Humm... I suppose if you can get a phone line from the ATA to the control box (security) it could be done? Seems I read somewhere the monitoring companies wouldn't go for it, maybe I'm wrong.

Also I assume you know that you'd have to activate another line to use that second pots port.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
Seems I read somewhere the monitoring companies wouldn't go for it, maybe I'm wrong.

That is what I'm waiting on. I have contacted my monitoring company to see what they allow. I have gotten two different answers so far.

Ivan

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I read somewhere on the Voange forums, that some people have connected their home telephone network to the vonage system - so that the regular outlet sockets work - there was some issue about making sure you were disconnected from the telephone grid, and that there was no power on the line. (this is not recommended though!) - I guess you would have to know what you are doing, you can't just plug it in - otherwise boom !

Maybe have 11 digit dialing is an issue !?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…