Dirtbikindad

May 23, 2004
I have to share this story for anybody who might be thinking of buying an RV from Giant RV.

Two three weeks ago we went to Giant RV in Irvine to look at trailers. We liked a Weekend Warrior so much that we decided to try and buy one from them. We gave them a 5k check as a deposit to order and only to be cashed if we secured financing. We told them that we had to move money to make that check good.
After a week of really bad communications namely people telling us they would call us and then when they didn't call we find out that it was their day off the day they were supposed to call us.
Then we find out they deposited our check when they told us they would hold on to it. Of course it bounced and we got charged $25.00 for that and had another check to Costco bounce too another $25.00 charge at the bank plus Costco's charge to us and most likely put on Costco's no check list.
I talked to the owner of Giant RV and he of course sounded like he was upset but handed me off to a VP who handed me off to the head of finance.
Long story short and much lipservice later from the head of finance and the VP the head of finance doesn’t call me back when he says he will and the check gets redeposited and at the time of this writing I am $4500.00 overdrawn at the bank and can't even buy gas for my vehicles because our bank account is tied up until Monday when we can call and straighten it out.

I am very upset and my wife is so upset she is to the point of having a relapse of her heart condition and not being able to sleep. I wish I could do something but I can't get anybody at Giant RV to even take my call now so if you plan on doing business with them and you don't have a Fico score of 700 or more Buyer Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the meantime I am thinking of painting a sign and parking in front of their corporate dealership in Montclair all weekend every weekend.

Signed
Very Frustrated

Last edited:

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
it sounds like Giant RV needs to make this right or you need to tell them you are gonna start bad mouthing them in the forums!. we had a problem with byerly trailers some years ago, and they got me for 100 bucks. I would REALLY apply pressure on the president of the company.

let us know how it turns out.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
You're not alone,

We had the same issue with Mike Thompsons RV. (minus the bouncing part, there were enough funds.) We gave them a refundable hold check last summer, which they promised they wouldn't cash until the RV came in in a few weeks. They, of course, cashed it the next day and then the RV was delayed and delayed .......... we took it as a bad sign and got out of the deal as we hadn't signed any official papework yet just a hold reciept. The people there were always polite and nice, and of course we got the real slick "sales treatement" when we tried to cancel. It just took about 2 weeks to get our money back as they had to re- issue a check for the one they weren't supposed to cash.....Yadda yadda yadda

Sadly for them, had they just followed through on what they said we would have completed the deal.

From my experience a lot of people in the CA RV industry are kind of flaky. If you find a good one you should buy from them and spread there name around.

Last edited:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
contact the news deparments of your local TV and Radio stations. Tell them that you have a consumer affairs story. Sometimes they will run it, sometimes they won't. But, this is a good way to get exposure for bad service.

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
I've bought two Weekend Warrior trailers from Giant RV in the past two years and each time was a surreal experience.

I bought one in Corona, the other in Irvine, and dealt with service in Upland/Montclair. My experiences haven't been all that different with yours. My service experience has been excellent however.

Unfortunately if you like Weekend Warrior toy haulers, and don't plan to drive a helluva long way to buy one or get it serviced, there aren't a lot of local choices beyond Giant RV.

You could always consider a 'like new' used one, and oh, by the way... I have one for sale...

Good luck with your endeavor, whichever way you go. In my experience you just can't beat the WW.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I really hate to say this but.... you wrote a bad check. Yes, there was a gentlemen's understanding but still..... Unless you were planning on leaving the dealership and going directly to the bank to move funds to cover the check, it's never a good idea to have a check like that floating around. And now you know why.

As for getting a two week run around to get a refund, they're waiting for your check to clear, most likely. That plus maybe a little yanking of the chain of a customer that backed out on a deal.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I will ALWAYS post date any check when doing that type of transaction just to help cover my butt incase (they always seem to) do that type of thing.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
gwcrim said:
As for getting a two week run around to get a refund, they're waiting for your check to clear, most likely. That plus maybe a little yanking of the chain of a customer that backed out on a deal.

Yeah I know and I wasn't sweating the delay. It was just kind of stupid to wait for a refund on a check they weren't supposed to cash until they had the product in house.

My point is, through lessons learned in life, I never write checks to anyone, especially money grubbing dealers, that can't be covered imediately.

I hope it worked out for you today.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
glenncal1 said:
Just as an FYI there is no such thing as a post ddated check. Once you sign and give it to the payee it is done, Jim
Might want to check with BankOne on that, they refused payment of a check I post dated when purchasing my John Deere that the dealer tried to deposit.

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
We ordered a new '04 Fun Mover from Giant RV and they called us and told us that it was in. When we got there, we found out that it was NOT brand new. It had actually been a demo model that they loaned out to make a movie that had quite a few thousand miles on it, a dirty toilet, shower, etc. We told them that this was not acceptable.

A week later our brand new '04 arrived again and then we finally handed over the Cashier's Check.

The rear bench seats that were supposed to be installed in the rear cargo area were the only things not installed yet b/c they said they were on order still. It has been a couple weeks now and if they do not show up real soon.....well, we'll let you know the outcome about what we think about their service dept.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
wow if they tried to give you a demo after you ordered a NEW motor vehicle I would report them to th BBB. If that is truly what happened.

I certainly would not have gone through the transaction and if i did they would have been taking it in the shorts.

Isn't this Giant RV tied up with Mcgrath somehow ?

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
ScottS said:
wow if they tried to give you a demo after you ordered a NEW motor vehicle I would report them to th BBB. If that is truly what happened.

I certainly would not have gone through the transaction and if i did they would have been taking it in the shorts.

Isn't this Giant RV tied up with Mcgrath somehow ?

Oh, they definitely TRIED to give us a demo after we ordered a NEW motor vehicle and I didn't even give a FULL list of everything that was used on it b/c the list would go on forever. They tried to make it sound like they were doing us a favor by selling us this "NEW" motorhome, when it was actually a "NEW/USED" motorhome by telling us that they would give us a copy of the movie it was being used in. When we offered them a lower price on this "NEW/USED" motorhome because of the mileage and the mess, they wouldn't even budge on the price because they said it was still an '04, so we told them to stuff it and get us a NEW motorhome.

The only reason we bought it from them after this incident is because they were the ONLY local dealer that we could find one at with the sport package and everything we wanted on it, and b/c it would be a local dealer to take it in for servicing since we also purchased the extended warranty.

I do not know if they are tied in with Mcgrath or not?

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I didn't suggest that you should pay a lower price for the used one- I mean they should get you a NEW one AND a lower price- otherwise i would walk. Just for trying to pull such a stunt.

wow- a copy of the movie that was made in it - big deal - like everyone is impressed- I just read the thing about pastrana filming stunts for a movie and i am in a bad mood- everyone wants to be so extreme and fake everything- why don't they join the military and try some real risky stuff ?

Sounds like a bunch of losers trashed your new motorhome for a week and they expected you to be impressed.

I would not buy from them even if I had to drive to Florida to get it serviced- you know if they can try to pull a stunt like this they will not be trustworthy on any other issues - Like trying to get those extended warranty claims honored etc etc

If you still insist on taking it to them for service don't be surprised if it gets used for something else - record the mileage when you take it in and hope they don't disconnect the odo. Won't be the last film they need to make.

I owuld stay far away from these guys.

Bet Mcgrath is in the movie too.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
maybe this is it --

The "Moto X Kids" DVD/Home Video will be release by Fox Home Entertainment (20th Century Fox) on Tuesday, August 17th 2004.

Fox will include a coupon book in-pack providing a total savings of $5000 from a number of major industry manufacturers/vendors including KTM North America, Kawasaki Motors Corp., Weekend Warrior, Parts Unlimited, and Giant RV.

The cast for this production includes: Lorenzo Lamas, Gary Busey, Dan Haggerty, Evan Marriott, and Josh Hutcherson as well as a strong supporting cast of riders selected among junior competitors of national Motocross competitions.

Showcasing the exciting world of Motocross competition, "Moto X Kids" tells the tale of an accomplished motocross racer who finds herself in the most unlikely position of coaching the rag-tag collection of misfit kids who were selected to race for the Cobra factory team. They find their inspiration from none other than Buddy, the motocross racing monkey and the team's best rider. Armed with a talented coach and a skilled mascot, Team Cobra goes from "zeroes to heroes" in this heart-felt comedic journey.

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
Yes, this is the movie. Don’t care if the monkey used the bathroom :rotfl: or not b/c that is NOT the one we ended up purchasing!

Our other option was to order from an out-of-state dealer and pick it up at the factory in Indiana in approximately ten weeks for a TOTAL savings of approximately $500 to $1,000 depending on travel expense. So, I feel we still got a good deal on the specific one we wanted…just had to play their little game, that was all. :think:

And again, NO monies exchanged hands until the rig was delivered and met our approval. :clue:

Also, we now we have a local dealer who will be more willing to service it since we bought it from them instead of an out-of-state dealer. :yeehaw:

Top Bottom