Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Yep going to do my first ever Enduro and my buds from Or. Are coming up to ride it also.
I will be driving an f 350 crew cab with matching maroon trailer.
Look me up i would like to meet you in person

KNeese

Nov 19, 2001
Sparkplug Enduro

I will definitely be there. Rode this enduro last year and had a great time. Very good course, technical in places but no bottlenecks. They even had a 500 mph average in one section. It was a hilarious.

I have also been working on the Shelton Enduro. It is going to be a typical Shelton enduro. Lots of good trails. I will be working the event of course. I hate to miss riding it, but thats the way it goes.

So be sure to make that one. It will be a good time.

Ken

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
What kind of Enduro scene do y'all have up that way? How many do you have per year? How many people enter them? They are ultra popular down here, probably because we have so few miles of legal public trail left. It is the only way you can get a decent days ride in on fresh trails. I'd like to move to the North West but I'd hate to leave our Enduro Scene.

KNeese

Nov 19, 2001
We don't have as many as we used to. Enduros have really lost alot of interest over the last 10 years or so. Last year there were only 4 enduros on the calendar.

This year there are 6 enduros scheduled so far.

In Washington we have 2 series that run, the Off-Road and Enduro. The Off-Road is the mostly hare scrambles and GP's. They usually have 12-15 events each year.

I have heard vague rumors that Enduros might be getting more popular here but who knows.

Ken

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
When I was in exile in SoCal, there was a great enduro scene. The folks who didn't want to race flat out with mass starts (and liked to use their brain) went enduro riding. Up here the folks who don't want to race flat out with mass starts ride the very popular poker run series.

Since the MTV generation came to power, few are interested in using their brains.

This is my explanation of why enduros are doing poorly.

Still the only way to ride the Sacred Trails

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
I here you Mace. I think people are scared of the time keeping and having the bike tagged etc. The truth is though, all you usually need, at least down here, is a spark arrestor and maybe a fake headlight. At the real strict races, like Cherokee National and Brown Mountain. You will need to make the light work and borrow some old street bike tag. As far as time keeping goes, I ran my first couple of years not knowing anything about it or having a computor. I just went into the sections with people on my row and then hauled ass. I never burn't a check that way. When I finally learned to keep time and find possibles it became that much more fun.
Why run a harescramble round and round a beat up trail when you can run 50-100 miles of sweet, almost pristine trail. The breaks are great for loosing your arm-pump and talking. Most importantly, there is just something way more manly and satisfying about running through miles of new terrain as opposed to the same old 5 mile loop in a harescramble.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Fishhead I do know Jerry the paver He lives about 2 miles from me
I havent ridden with him mutch in the last year.
Well I rode the sparkplug, it was a blast! Intel I got a flat. I was about 1/2 mile out from check 3 and came in 4 min late to check 4 only about 2 miles by road to the truck with the cold beer. This was my first enduro and I think I will be doing the next one!

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
bonehead
I think might have ridden with you guys last winter right after I picked up my new ktm. we rode over on the Hurd side of Tahuya. 3 kdx's a couple of ktm's a wr/yz and a couple of xr hondas and one klx. I was really looking forward to the sparkplug and spent a lot of time riding the single track on both sides of the road but I got the flu and I'm still fighting it off. I plan on doing the Shelton Valley enduro which will be my first one.

I got the jetting and suspension pretty well sorted out on the katoom which has helped a bunch in the tight stuff and dumping the stock tires for some s-12's and m-12's helped out too.

I haven't gotten Jerry to come out for more fun since. cluck! cluck! cluck! ;)

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Sparkplug was awesome. Super trails - some I've never seen before. I'm too damn slow, and was more worried about houring out than time keeping. But at least I finished so maybe I get top DRN trophy ;) .

Weren't the trails great? The moisture content was about perfect.

The BCMC crew almost got me though. The flier said the short course was 30 miles. I like to have a bit of margin so I gassed up with enough juice for about 40 miles. The bike went on reserve at about 42 miles (my body was on reserve at about 30 miles). The course finally ended at about 47 ground miles. That's the lowest I've ever run my tank. And when I packed up there was about half a cup of water left in my drink bladder.

Just like I planned it...

Top Bottom