Water Pump Seal Replacement on a '96 KTM 360

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I'm right in the middle of replacing this thing and would like to get some opinions. I've got the covers off and have removed the impeller. Now I'm having a tough time getting the old seal out. I've managed to pull out some pieces of the the rubber with a small screw driver but can't get the whole thing out. Anyone have any good tricks to getting the old one out. I am really hoping it can be done without pulling the entire shaft. Patman has suggest using an awl with a slight hook to the end of it for getting ahold of it. I am probably gonna go with that idea but thought I'd ask on here first to see what others might have had luck with. Thanks in advance. :cool:

KTM Pete

Sep 26, 1999
A bent tip on a small screwdriver will work better-more surface area. Also slide the screwdriver thru a box-end wrench to make a T handle-easier to pull. It should come out fairly easy.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I went and bought a pick set from Lowe's. They're basically about the size of dental picks but with screw driver handles on them. One of them in the set is bent at a 90 degree angle and seemed to work good. Got it out with a little effort. It completely destroyed the old seal but atleast it's out. :) Thanks Pete!!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Bike is now back together and I had it running tonight. Also replaced the head o-rings too. I filled it up with Water-Wetter mixed with distilled water. I ran it for a good 15 minutes and noticed that it did drain just a little. About a drinking glass worth. I've heard this is normal on the first start up, anyone else care to confirm?? I am going to run it again tomorrow and see how it's holding. Keep your fingers crossed... :)

[5 beers and DRN don't mix. :laugh: ]

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Still losing coolant after replacing the water pump seal and the head o-rings. Replaced the radiator cap too but it still wreaks of coolant while it's running. I think the only thing to consider at this point is a warped head.

The guy at the shop told me the easiest way to fix it would be to trade it in for a new one. :) I smiled and told him it would be nice, but I wouldn't get much for a trade in on it. Not to mention, how can I tell them with a straight face that it's running good and there's no problems that I'm aware of. LOL

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
That's bad news about the leak. Thanks for the tip on removing wp seal. I have the clutchcover off on the 300 and need to get the bearing out behind seal also. Screwdriver wasn't doing much.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Things that make you go "hmmm"

I ran the bike yesterday for a good 45 min. I mean actually grabbing some throttle and bangin' through the gears in the dirt vs. just running it around the neighorhood. I could still smell coolant, but when I checked the fluid level it was fine. ????? I can only guess at this point that I have some residual coolant around the head and or pipe that is still burning off from the original leak. A friend of mine also mentioned that it may take a couple of runs to get everything (mainly the o rings) to seat/ seal in the head just right. Anyone ever heard of this? Other than that, the thing ran like a top.

fremontguy,

You have to pull the bearings in addition to the wp seal?? I am wondering if your bike is set up differently than mine. According to what my water pump looked like, I'd have to split the cases in order to get the bearings out. I could be wrong though. :( I pray I never have those bearings go out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom