Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
All the sudden my computer is starting to have a massive amount of pop ups :think: . If i leave it for an hour or so i will come back and have 50 or more pup ups. I can imagine a few here and there but this is nuts. Ive deleted all the cookies, cleared history, run spy bot, defraged the hard drive, what else can i do? I have all the drivers if i were to format the hard drive but id rather not do that. Is there anywhere i could send it to have it cleaned up and all? What can i get to like immunize this thing like so it wont get all loaded up anymore?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If it's only happening while your browsing the net you can get a pop up stopper for your browser. However most Windows XP systems start with Windows Messenger service enabled and this is the one that usually has you bombarded with spam. If your coming back to the pc and it's full of pop ups and you didn't even have your browser open that is most likely the culprit. Check out this link for a fix, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/communicate/stopspam.asp

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Try the google popup blocker.

www.google.com, its under services and tools.

But the problem there sounds like you have some spyware on your PC. If you ran one scan, sometimes they dont pick up on all of them which another one might. Try: Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

Try running a scan with that, and get a google pop up blocker and you should be good unless there are other problems on there.

+Did you ever use Kazaa on your computer?
+Go to Add/Remove programs and remove anything on there that is associated with Kazaa, or anything like foreign toolbars in particular, or anything that you dont ever remember installing.
+If you ever get one of those windows that pop up asking if you want to trust a certain company, always click NO unless you are positive of what it is you are agreeing to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Ad-Aware by lavasoft corrected my problem with that, it's a free download. Spybot didn't find any errors.

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
What is a Network Play System "Patching"? It has a Green check mark as the symbol for it. Also when i try to remove the 1st version of kazaa it wont let me, says "Error. specified module could not be found"? What is this? How can i turn on the firewall or where can i get one? What exactly do they do?

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
Network Play System Patching sounds like it's either for some spiffy game to allow network play (if you don't play games over a network just delete it), or, and probably more likely, it's probably some sort of spyware or adware. Do a search on google for "network play system patching" or whatever it's full name is (put the quotation marks in, they tell google to search for that exact phrase), and see what kind of results you get.

That error when you try to uninstall kazaa means that it has already been uninstalled, at least partially. Did you delete the folder for it, or maybe use the uninstaller without going through the "add/remove programs" thing in the control panel?

Firewalls moniter every program that is running on your computer. They also moniter anything coming from the internet onto your computer (downloads) and any connections from your computer sending stuff onto the net (uploads). The only one I have used is called Kerio Personal Firewall, which is free, you can download it from their site. I did not like it. Some programs would not run right with it installed, and it kept crashing. It could have just been the piece of junk computer I had it on though.

I know some of the big name viruscanning software (norton, mcaffee, etc.) come bundled with a firewall. Try going to download.com and doing a search for firewall. You can download free trials, and read what other users think of each program. Good luck!

cyprice

Mar 2, 2003
I used a program called Bazzoka Spyware scanner. It is free but he does ask for paypal donations. Caught everything on my computer and gives you instruction on how to manualy remove programs where the uninstall feature doesnt work.
www.kephyr.com

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Kazaa can cause nightmares for your PC.

Like mentioned above, delete Kazaa using the "Add/Remove Programs" that way, since just deleting the folder from Program Files doesen't delete the whole thing. This goes for anything you uninstall, to use this method.

Kazaa creates a bunch of spyware, along with things like their P2P networking and whatever new stuff they have on there. Along with a popup blocker, get rid of all those things.

Top Bottom