Wayne National 7/15?

JimmyD2

Subscriber
Well it looks like we are finally planning a trip to Wayne National Forest on Sunday July 15th. So far it's myself, 2 non-DRNers and possibly smb_racing. If anyone else is interested, you're more than welcome!

I have 2 questions:
- One of my friends does not have a spark arrestor - how concerned should he be about that?
- Where should we start from? We will be leaving from a friends house in Somerset. (Near Perry State forest)

Last edited:

SPD

Lifetime Sponsor
Hey Jimmy what time are you going? Sunday's not a good day for me( start my work week at 9:00 pm) but ya never know. I would 'nt worry to much about the SA, just don't gas it if you see a ranger(usally in the parking lots). I've heard some loud 2 strokes. Make sure you have your APV sticker and Wayne permit. I thnk the best riding is between 33 and Carbon Hill. I useally go in off of 33 at the end of the 4 lane just south of Logan . Small sign that says Dor Run. Several parking places.

JimmyD2

Subscriber
SPD, a wise man once said - "You should never let work stand between you and a good day of riding." or did I just make that up...

Plans aren't set in stone yet, but I'd like to get started no later than 10 -11. According to Yahoo Maps, I've got about a 2.5 hr drive from St.C with a stop off at Somerset first. How early would you have to start?

We have our APV stickers. Where sould we get the Wayne permits?

Last edited:

SPD

Lifetime Sponsor
To late for me on a sunday. Oh well maybe next time. I got my permit in Nelsonville at the corner of Rt33 and 278. Check Waynes web page. They give a list of places that sell them. It's 5.00 per day or 25.00 per year. I'll tell a couple of friends maybe they can make it. They lurk around here. Hey Shaun or Eric ?

erac

I'm in

I'll go. My uncle has a trailer that will carry three 4 wheelers he said I can use it if i need to. We can hook it up to my Expedition if you dont want to take the DraftCo van. Dinge may want to go also, maybe we can rent a truck, I know a place where I can get a good deal on one for the week end. I think it's called (E)nterprise (R)ent-(A)-(C)ar, I know the boss there pretty well.

JimmyD2

Subscriber
Re: I'm in

Originally posted by erac
(E)nterprise (R)ent-(A)-(C)ar
I always wondered what "erac" meant.

I'll keep this thread updated with whatever plans we come up with!

smb_racing

Master of None
sounds like a good deal to me, I'll almost definitely be able to make it.

JimmyD2

Subscriber
Great Jeff! You can be the official guide for the day. We have never been there before...

Is there a place on our way to buy our permits - that's open on Sunday? I looked at Wayne National's web site, but I'm not familiar w/ the area. Do you usually start the same place as SPD?

smb_racing

Master of None
I've only been there once, but it's fairly straight forward. If you go into nelsonville there's a gas station right at the intersection of rt. 33 and rt. 278 called crossroads and that's the only place to get permits that I know of. They open kinda early on sunday and there's usually a line to get permits. We could meet there if you want and then drive on out to the parking area.
The only parking area that I know of is the one dennis showed me, good spot to unload though.

non DRN members at Wayne National

ahem, that's only ONE non-DRN member going with you Jimmy. Although depending on ranger alertness, I may get there and be banned for my fire starting capabilities.
I can't wait to ride with the Fairpoint crew again, they didn't get to see any of my usual devastating wrecks. We'll be seeing red lights by the end of the day, I can assure you. I only hope the weather doesn't go against us like it usually does...

JimmyD2

Subscriber
That's right. You've been a non-posting DRNer for a few months now. Welcome to my life. I must warn you, it's addictive. Now we have to recruit Curt...

erac

Help I can't get out!!!

Bill, listen to Jimmy. I read the words DIRTRIDER.NET on his fender and I've been here every day since. I just cant help it.:)

SPD

Lifetime Sponsor
When you get your permit make a left out of Crossroads and go north on 33. About 4-5 mi you'll pass Dee's Diner on your left ( use to be good place for breakfast) go maybe a mile 1st road on your right(will be a sign for Doar Run). The road will start out blacktop then turn to gravel. There will be a parking place there or follow the road to the top. At the top is a parking lot with a outhouse and unload ramp.

Re: Wayne National

Coe's in. He'll call me and confirm sometime this week. He's been there a few times and says the best spot is the one with a Lifeflight helipad at the entrance. Now that's GOTTA be good ridin'!:p

Hey boys,I can probably make it. Are spark arrestors required? Do they have any noise limits? Is anybody going to ride with me in fairpoint this sunday?